Crunchy Cranberry and Cinnamon Granola is fantastic for breakfast. The slight tartness of the cranberries with the woody warmth of the cinnamon and nutmeg is divine. Gluten-free, vegan, low in sugar and full of nuts and seeds; this is the perfect taste, texture and nutrition to wake up with.
There is only a small amount of added sugar here (from the molasses). I really don’t think that breakfast should be sweet and this is perfect. The salt in the granola is key to tasting great, don’t be tempted to skip the salt. Only a small amount but spot-on!!! If you don’t eat processed foods you don’t need to worry about this amount of salt (you should probably worry more about getting enough salt!).
The great thing about home-made food is that you can make what you like and this Crunchy Cranberry and Cinnamon Granola is what I like!
A note on dried fruit in breakfast things. I HATE (really HATE) raisins, sultanas, currants etc. in breakfast cereal. They have no place in breakfasts. I like them in Christmas cake. I like them as a snack. I like them in nothing else. They have no business in a curry (who the heck thinks that is OK?) or anything savoury. Dried grapes in savoury food appals me.
If you fancy a juice to go with your Crunchy Cranberry and Cinnamon Granola I recommend Carrot and Ginger Juice – No Juicer Required and Beetroot and Carrot Juice – No Juicer Required. Both absolutely delicious!
Allergy Information – Crunchy Cranberry and Cinnamon Granola
Cranberry and Cinnamon Granola is gluten-free and vegan as well as… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, soya free.
Top Tips – Crunchy Cranberry and Cinnamon Granola
I used toasted sesame seeds which work really well but you can use un-toasted.
You will need two large, flat baking sheets to bake the granola (or one large flat baking sheet and cook in two batches).
This makes enough to fill a two litre container. You can make double the batch if you have lots of mouths to feed (and have the storage).
Serve with the non-dairy milk of your choice. I like unsweetened almond milk with my granola.
Oats, nuts and seeds are some of my store cupboard essentials. I eat these in one form or another everyday. Whether that is as a snack or in Crunchy Cranberry and Cinnamon Granola. I adore them! Find out what else is on my regular shopping list with my FREE Store Cupboard Essentials Cheat Sheet. Get it now! Just click the button below, sign-up and download.
Recipe – Crunchy Cranberry and Cinnamon Granola
Serves one batch will fill a two litre container
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 25 minutes
Ingredients – Crunchy Cranberry and Cinnamon Granola
300 grams gluten-free oats
250 grams dried cranberries
100 grams almonds
75 grams Brazil nuts
50 grams walnuts
50 grams pumpkin seeds
3 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons chia seeds
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
100 millilitres rapeseed oil
2 tablespoons molasses
Method – Crunchy Cranberry and Cinnamon Granola
1. Preheat the oven to 170 (fan)
2. Place the gluten-free oats and cranberries into a large mixing bowl
3. Roughly chop the nuts and pumpkin seeds and add to the mixing bowl. Add the chia, ground flax and sesame seeds. Mix weel
4. Mix in the cinnamon, nutmeg and sea salt
5. Measure the oil in a jug and add the molasses. Mix well (if it is cold and does not mix you can place the oil and molasses in the microwave for 30-60 seconds)
6. Pour the oil and molasses over the oat, fruit, nut and seed mixture and stir really well
7. Spread the mixture on two large, flat baking sheets and place in the oven for 25 minutes (rotate and swap shelves half way through cooking)
8. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheets (do not disturb the mixture)
9. Once cool, store in an air-tight container.