Apple Crumble Bars are fabulous ‘snacks on the go’ and great for a packed lunch. Sweet (but not too sweet), cinnamony and crunchy these bars are great (and totally gluten-free and vegan). Apple crumble was (and still is) my favourite dessert as a child. These bars make me feel think of my beloved childhood dessert. These bars are apple crumble in a portable form!
If you like Apple Crumble Bars you will love the ‘big dessert’ version: my Bramley Apple and Quince Crumble!
Allergy Information – Apple Crumble Bars
Apple Crumble Bars are gluten-free and vegan as well as… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free.
Top Tips – Apple Crumble Bars
Ensure the Apple Crumble Bars are cooled before you cut them.
Cut the bars before you remove them from the base of the cooking tin, they will cut better and be easier to handle.
If you love seasonal cooking and baking and you’re not sure what’s in season (and when) get my FREE Seasonal Produce Posters. Just click the button below, sign-up and download.
Recipe – Apple Crumble Bars
Serves makes approximately 16 bars
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 50 minutes
Ingredients – Apple Crumble Bars
200 grams ground almonds
200 grams gluten-free plain flour
180 grams margarine
90 grams sugar
0.5 teaspoon sea salt flakes
600 grams cooking apples
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons sugar
Method – Apple Crumble Bars
1. Preheat oven to 180 C (fan) and grease a 23 centimetre (nine inch) square, loose-bottomed, tin
2. In a large bowl make the base and crumble topping. Combine the ground almonds and gluten-free plain flour and add the margarine. Roughly chop the margarine into the flours and then gently rub the margarine into the flours using the tips of your fingers. Once you have a ‘sandy’ mixture add 90 grams of sugar and carefully mix in
4. Take around three-quarters of the mixture and spread it evenly over the base of the loose-bottomed tin. Firmly press the mixture to form an even, well compacted base
5. Place in the oven for around 20 minutes until slightly golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool
6. Peel, core and slice the apples into evenly sized pieces. Carefully arrange the apple slices over the baked base, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon
7. Sprinkle the remaining crumble mixture evenly over the apples and place in the oven for approximately 30 minutes until the apples are soft and the topping is golden
8. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before removing from the tin. Slice into 16 slices and serve.