Gluten-Free Vegan Apple and Rhubarb Crumble is rich, crunchy, velvety and comforting. The tartness of the fruit is wonderful with the sweet crunch of the crumble. It’s one of the easiest desserts to make and everyone adores it. I love it with vegan custard or cream.
I make my own custard (using custard powder and soya milk) but I also love to eat it with really rich and unctuous Vegan Cream.
Allergy Information – Apple and Rhubarb Crumble
Apple and Rhubarb Crumble is gluten-free and vegan as well as… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free*, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free**, tree nut free.
*For nightshade free, ensure the GF flour blend is nightshade free.
**For soya free, ensure margarine is soya free.
Top Tips – Apple and Rhubarb Crumble
I like to be able to tell what type of fruit is in my crumble and like to retain some texture so, unlike many recipes I don’t pre-cook the apples or rhubarb. ‘Apple and rhubarb mush’ crumble is not the aim here – texture and taste are key to this crumble.
I’ve used very little sugar (compared to other crumble recipes) in this dish. I prefer to be able to taste a slight tartness from the rhubarb and apples but you can add as much sugar as you like. I often don’t add any sugar at all to the fruit but it depends how tart the fruit is. Don’t forget there is sugar in the crumble and this balances out the tartness beautifully.
This is a rather top heavy crumble. Personally, I like my crumbles to have a very thick layer of crumble over the fruit.
GF flour doesn’t colour in the same way as ‘normal’ flour so don’t panic if your crumble looks a little pale after cooking. It will still have a great texture.
Recipe – Apple and Rhubarb Crumble
Preparation time 15 mins
Cooking time 45 mins
Ingredients – Apple and Rhubarb Crumble
750 grams Bramley (or any other cooking) apples – this is around five small/ medium apples
400 grams rhubarb
1 tablespoon sugar (less or more to taste)
300 grams gluten-free plain flour (I used a supermarket bought blend)
150 grams gluten-free vegan margarine
75 grams sugar
Method – Apple and Rhubarb Crumble
1. Pre heat oven to 180 C (fan)
2. Peel, core and chop the apples into large chunks. Clean, top and tail and chop the rhubarb into large chunks
3. Place the chopped fruit in your baking dish and mix together and spread evenly across the dish. If you’re adding sugar, sprinkle it over the fruit
4. In a large bowl add the flour and margarine and using your finger tips lightly rub the margarine in to the flour
5. The mixture will quickly start to resemble breadcrumbs. Once the margarine is worked in to the flour and there is no ‘loose’ flour add the sugar and mix lightly. You should have quite a light sandy, breadcrumb like crumble mix
6. Spread the crumble mix over the fruit in a even layer making sure to cover the fruit well
7. Bake in the oven for around 45 minutes (check the fruit after 35 minutes) until the fruit soft but not mushy and the topping is crunchy and lightly golden
8. Serve with vegan custard or cream.