Gluten-Free Vegan Apple Cake is rich, moist, tasty, tangy and delicious. This is a gluten-free vegan cake that doesn’t sink in the middle nor does it crumble when you try to cut it or eat it. It’s perfect when you want a cake that’s a little bit different or you have a glut of apples to use up. I love apples and I love any dessert with them in (except baked apples that is – they are a mystery to me).
Apples are high FODMAP so not a dessert for you if you’re following a low FODMAP diet.
Allergy Information – Gluten-Free Vegan Apple Cake
Gluten-Free Vegan Apple Cake is also… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free.
Top Tips – Gluten-Free Vegan Apple Cake
If you don’t have a loose-bottomed pan you can use strips of greaseproof paper or baking parchment laid across the base of the cake tin and up the sides (extending around five centimetres past the cake tin on each side) to help lift out the cooked cake.
I use cooking apples as they are quite tart and hold their shape a little better when cooked. You can use any apple you like.
Add the vinegar just before you add the apple and dry ingredients. The vinegar starts the chemical reaction with the baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and you want this reaction to be still going when you put the cake in the oven.
Recipe – Gluten-Free Vegan Apple Cake
Serves 8-12 (makes one large 24 centimetre diameter cake)
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 40-50 minutes
Ingredients – Gluten-Free Vegan Apple Cake
3 large cooking apples (around 220 grams each – 660 grams in total)
130 g plain gluten-free flour blend
90 g ground almonds
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp cinnamon
0.5 tsp salt
240 ml non-dairy milk (unsweetened)
1 tbsp ground flax seeds
50 g sugar
50 ml sunflower oil (or other non-flavoured oil)
1 tsp vanilla extract
0.5 tsp almond extract
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1.5 tbsp dark raw sugar
Method – Gluten-Free Vegan Apple Cake
1. Grease a loose-bottomed 24 cm spring-form cake tin and set aside. Preheat the oven to 180 C
2. Peel, core and chop the apples into chunks and set aside
3. Place the gluten-free flour in a large bowl and add the ground almonds, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and salt. Mix well
4. In a separate bowl add the non-dairy milk, ground flax seeds, sugar, sunflower oil, vanilla extract and almond extract. Mix really well until the sugar disappears
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix very well. Next, add the apple cider vinegar and ensure it’s well mixed.Quickly add the apple chunks and stir through the batter
6. Working quickly, place the cake mixture into the cake tin, sprinkle with 1.5 tbsp sugar and put it straight into the oven for 40-50 minutes. Check the cake after 35 minutes by inserting a clean knife into the mixture (if it comes out clean the cake is cooked)
7. Allow to cool for around 10 minutes before removing from the tin and let the cake cool completely before cutting into slices. Serve on it’s own with a cup of tea or with vegan cream, ice cream or custard.