Gluten-Free Vegan Parkin is a delicious pudding. Rich, oaty and gingery. It’s the perfect autumnal, stick-to-your-lungs dessert. Gluten-Free, Vegan Parkin is similar to gingerbread but more substantial, from the addition of oats. If you like gingerbread you’ll love parkin.
Parkin hales from northern England; Lancashire and Yorkshire to be precise. Both lay claim to it and there are probably as many recipes as there are people. Essentially parkin is a ginger-cake made with oats. A very, very good ginger-cake made with oats!
I love Gluten-Free Vegan Parkin with some vegan ice-cream or if you’re feeling really decadent Vegan Cream!!!
Allergy Information – Gluten-Free Vegan Parkin
Gluten-Free Vegan Parkin (as well as being gluten-free and vegan) is… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free, tree nut free.
Top Tips – Gluten-Free Vegan Parkin
Don’t open the oven door (really, really don’t open the oven door) until the cooking time has elapsed (not even a peak!!!), otherwise the cake will sink in the middle. And, you really don’t want that to happen!
All ovens are different so don’t worry if your cake takes a little longer to cook. Check the cake after 40 minutes, if a skewer or knife inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean, it’s cooked. If the skewer or knife isn’t clean just cook for a little longer.
Parkin develops a fabulous sticky top if you leave it for a few days in a cake tin.
If you love cooking and baking and you’re not used to working in grams (or cups are a mystery to you) get my FREE Cooking and Baking Conversions Cheat Sheet. Just click the button below, sign-up and download.
Recipe – Gluten-Free Vegan Parkin
Serves makes one square cake approx. 22 cm in diameter
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 40 minutes
Ingredients – Gluten-Free Vegan Parkin
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds (plus 6 tablespoons warm water)
200 grams margarine
200 grams brown sugar
125 grams treacle
75 grams golden syrup
280 grams gluten-free oats
160 grams gluten-free self raising flour
1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
2 teaspoons ginger ground
1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
0.5 teaspoon sea salt flakes
2 tablespoons plant milk
Method – Gluten-Free Vegan Parkin
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C (fan). Grease a 22 centimetre square cake tin (preferably with a loose bottom)
2. Mix the ground flax seeds with six tablespoons of warm water and set aside. Place the oats in a food processor and pulse until the oats break down into a course flour
3. Place a medium pan on a low heat and add the margarine, sugar, treacle and golden syrup. Heat gently and stir until the sugar dissolves
4. Add the ground oats, gluten-free flour, baking powder, ground ginger, mixed spice and sea salt to a large mixing bowl and mix well. Create a well in the middle and add the melted mixture, flaxseed mixture and plant milk. Fold the mixture quickly and well to make sure there are no lumps. Ensure all the ingredients are well combined
5. Pour the mixture into the greased tin and place in the oven for 40 minutes until a knife or skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. If it doesn’t leave it for a further five minutes
6. Once removed from the oven allow to cool completely before cutting into squares with a sharp knife.
Leave a Reply