I love to make this Gluten-Free Vegan Victoria Sponge cake. It’s super light, moist and really, really tasty. I especially love to make this cake as a birthday cake.
This is a great cake to make to please everyone, some people aren’t keen on chocolate cake or coffee cake which makes Gluten-Free, Vegan Victoria Sponge the perfect cake to please everyone!
Now, if you do like chocolate cake you’ll LOVE my Gluten-Free Vegan Triple Chocolate Cake.
Allergy Information – Gluten-Free Vegan Victoria Sponge
Gluten-Free, Vegan Victoria Sponge (as well as being gluten-free and vegan) is… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free, tree nut free.
Top Tips – Gluten-Free Vegan Victoria Sponge
Don’t open the oven door (really, really don’t open the oven door) until the cooking time has elapsed (not even a peak!!!), otherwise the cake will sink in the middle. And, you really don’t want that to happen!
All ovens are different so don’t worry if your cake takes a little less time or a little longer to cook. Check the cake after 25 minutes, if a skewer of knife inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean, it’s cooked. If the skewer or knife isn’t clean just cook for a little longer.
Although the cake contains lemon juice and zest, this cake doesn’t taste of lemon. The lemon just adds a freshness to the cake that is really lovely.
If you love cooking and baking and you’re not used to working in grams (or cups are a mystery to you) get my FREE Cooking and Baking Conversions Cheat Sheet. Just click the button below, sign-up and download.
Recipe – Gluten-Free Vegan Victoria Sponge
Serves makes one cake approx. 20 centimetres in diameter
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 30 minutes
Ingredients – Gluten-Free Vegan Victoria Sponge
300 grams vegan margarine (suitable for baking), plus extra for greasing
300 grams gluten-free plain flour
200 grams sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
200 grams vegan yoghurt
2 lemons, juice and zest
2 tablespoons gluten-free baking powder
4 tablespoons chickpea flour
Ingredients – Gluten-Free, Vegan Victoria Sponge – Vegan Cream Filling
1.5 tablespoons cornflour
125 millilitres non-dairy milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon agave syrup (optional or sweetener of your choice)
60 grams vegan margarine (suitable for baking)
Ingredients – Gluten-Free Vegan Victoria Sponge – You Will Also Need
4 tablespoons raspberry jam
Icing sugar for dusting
Method – Gluten-Free Vegan Victoria Sponge
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C (fan). Grease two loose-bottomed cake tins (approximately 20 cm diameter) with some margarine
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat (or whisk) the margarine and sugar for a few minutes until it is light and fluffy and becomes lighter in colour
3. Sieve the flour, baking powder and chickpea flour into the bowl and fold in
4. Add the vanilla extract, yoghurt and lemon juice and zest and carefully mix until well combined
5. Divide the mixture between the cake tins and level out the surface of each. Place on the middle shelf of the oven for approximately 30 minutes (do not open the oven before 25 minutes) until golden and a knife inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean
6. Whilst the sponges are cooking make the Vegan Cream Filling
7. Remove the sponges from the oven and leave the cakes to cool in the tins for 10 minutes. Turn the cakes out onto a wire cooling rack and allow to cool completely
8. Once the sponges are completely cooled, place one of the sponges on a cake-plate or stand. Carefully spread the Vegan Cream over the top of the cake. Spread the strawberry jam onto the bottom of the second sponge and carefully place the top layer, jam side down, on top of the cream
9. Dust the top of the cake with a little icing sugar and serve!
Method – Gluten-Free Vegan Victoria Sponge – Vegan Cream Filling
1. Add the cornflour to a small pan and add the non-dairy milk slowly and stir to slake the cornflour. Mix well to ensure there are no lumps. Add the vanilla extract and agave syrup (if using) and place on a medium heat
2. Stir gently and constantly until the mixture thickens and comes to a simmer. Simmer gently for 30-60 seconds. Remove from heat and cool quickly by placing the base of the pan in a bowl of cold water until completely cold
3. Place the margarine in a mixing bowl and beat until smooth and soft. Slowly add the cornflour mixture a little at a time and beat until you have a rich, smooth, creamy consistency. If it seems a too thick add a little more non-dairy milk. Chill until required.