Pears Poached in Spiced Red Wine are a great way to make use of the gut of pears that often hits in the summer. This is quite an adult gluten-free vegan dessert and a great treat when you have guests around for dinner. The once firm pears become yielding to the spoon and are a perfect after dinner treat. A great alternative to a rich cake or pudding.
Pears Poached in Spiced Red Wine are quick and easy and keep well in the fridge for several day so you can make them ahead of time.
Pears Poached in Spiced Red Wine are a great dessert for a dinner party. Serve with crumbled Crunchy Gluten-Free, Vegan, Ginger Oat Biscuits.
Allergy Information – Pears Poached in Spiced Red Wine
Pears Poached in Spiced Red Wine are gluten-free and vegan as well as… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free, tree nut free.
Top Tips – Pears Poached in Spiced Red Wine
Very firm pears work much better for this dish.
The firmer the pear the easier it is to keep the pears whole and the stalk on, sometimes tricky.
Recipe – Pears Poached in Spiced Red Wine
Preparation time 5 minutes
Cooking time 40 minutes
Ingredients – Pears Poached in Spiced Red Wine
1 bottle (750 millilitres) of a light-medium bodied red wine you like to drink
150 grams sugar
2 sticks of cinnamon
1 star anise
1 vanilla pod split down the centre and scrape out the seeds
1 strip of lemon zest
4-6 firm pears (e.g. comice, conference or Williams)
Method – Pears Poached in Spiced Red Wine
1. Peel the pears (being careful to keep the stalk on) and trim the bottom flat so the pear will stand up
2. In a medium, deep pan add the sugar, cloves, cinnamon sticks, star anise, vanilla pod and seeds, lemon zest and red wine. Mix well and place on a medium heat until the sugar dissolves
3. Add the pears and simmer gently for 20 minutes until the pears are soft but not falling apart. Remove the pears from the pan with a slotted spoon
4. Reduce the syrup in the pan until it is thick and syrupy – approximately 10-15 minutes
5. Allow to cool, chill and store in the fridge until required (then discard the spices). Serve the pears with the syrup and with gluten-free, vegan ice-cream or sorbet.