It’s the height of summer, you want something that tastes delicious, is light, healthy and nutritious and that something is Beetroot and Millet Mega-Salad. Wonderfully free from gluten and totally vegan! Beetroot is such an amazing ingredient: raw beetroot tastes as good, if not better, than cooked however, both are amazing; I love the colour and the way it stains everything; I love the taste, the deep earthiness; I also love the way it is a fantastic partner to so many foods. Add millet as a solid base and more colourful, crunchy vegetables and a superb dressing and you have a wonderful summer meal. This is a meal I first had many years ago with my now husband it was simple, perfect for the weather and perfect for us.
Beetroot and Millet Mega-Salad is super quick and easy and is easy on the washing up.
Beetroot and Millet Mega-Salad is perfect for lunch, dinner or as a side. It also keeps really well in the fridge. Serve with a side of Pan Fried Asparagus.
Allergy Information – Beetroot and Millet Mega-Salad
Beetroot and Millet Mega-Salad is gluten-free and vegan as well as… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free, tree nut free.
Top Tips – Beetroot and Millet Mega-Salad
This recipe uses raw kale. You can also use any other leafy green vegetable such as rocket, spinach, lettuce etc. or a mixture. I like the richness of kale with the sweetness of the beetroot.
You can use a mandolin to get super thin slices of beetroot – or grate it. Both are good.
Recipe – Beetroot and Millet Mega-Salad
Preparation time 20 minutes
Cooking time 5 minutes
Ingredients – Beetroot and Millet Mega-Salad
100 millilitres dry millet cooked Basics – Perfect Millet
60 grams kale
1 medium beetroot – raw and scrubbed clean
1 large carrot peeled
100 grams garden peas (fresh or frozen – thaw if frozen)
30 grams toasted/ roasted pumpkin seeds
Ingredients – Beetroot and Millet Mega-Salad – Dressing
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
6 tablespoons pumpkin seed oil
0.5 teaspoon sea salt flakes
0.5 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Method – Beetroot and Millet Mega-Salad
1. Cook the millet as per the recipe in the link and allow to cool completely
2. Finely shred the kale and place it in a large serving bowl. Add the cooled millet to the serving bowl
3. Slice the beetroot and carrot very, very thin (e.g. on a mandolin) or grate and add to the serving bowl
4. Slice the avocado in half length-ways and remove the stone. Roughly chop the avocado in its skin to approximately one centimetre dice and scrape into the salad bowl. Add the peas (thawed if frozen) and pumpkin seeds and mix well
5. In a jar (with a well-fitting lid) place the cider vinegar and Dijon mustard. Put the lid on the jar and shake really well. Allow to stand for a few minutes. Add the pumpkin seed oil, sea salt and black pepper and shake again until well mixed
6. To serve, shake the vinaigrette and dress the salad.
Leave a Reply