This long, slow cooked Mexican Black Bean Casserole is a lovely one pot gluten-free, vegan dish that is so simple and easy to make, you’ll make it all the time. You just add all the ingredients to the casserole, put the lid on and put it in the oven while you get on with things.
Mexican black beans are a great addition to any stew or casserole. They are such a striking colour against the red tomato sauce and the yellow sweetcorn. It is a dazzling dish and the flavour is amazing. I used a dried pasilla chilli. If you can’t get these don’t worry use a dried chilli that is mild with a smoky flavour. I used a small butternut squash but any type of squash or pumpkin will work here.
I’m not sure there is a tradition of casseroles in Mexico but this uses Mexican ingredients (with a bit of cavolo nero and carrot thrown in for colour and nutrition) and oozes delicious smoky unctuous flavour from the dried chilli.
If you like black beans you might like more FriFran black bean recipes like Mexican Black Bean Soup, the most delicious, deeply flavoured, nutritious soup you can wish for. It takes a little time to cook but is well worth the wait. Or how about
Black Bean and Kale Enchiladas? Comfort food turned up to 11. Rich, warming, filling. I can recommend a light salad with this dish! Chilli Sin Carne is a crowd pleaser. Perfect when you have lots of guests arriving at different times. It freezes really well too.
Allergy Information – Mexican Black Bean Casserole
is gluten-free and vegan as well as… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free, tree nut free.
Top Tips – Mexican Black Bean Casserole
Make sure you have a casserole dish with a well fitting lid.
This is great on its own as a main or served with Cabbage and Carrot Salad or a green salad and home made guacamole.
Black beans are one of my store cupboard essentials. I eat beans pretty much everyday, in one form or another. I adore them! Find out what else is on my regular shopping list with my FREE Store Cupboard Essentials Cheat Sheet. Get it now! Just click the button below, sign-up and download.
Recipe – Mexican Black Bean Casserole
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 2.5 hours
Ingredients – Mexican Black Bean Casserole
60 grams quinoa – lightly toasted in a dry pan
1 small squash or pumpkin (~360 grams)
120 grams cavolo nero
400 gram can black beans
1 large dried pasilla chilli
1 teaspoon dried oregano
400 grams passata
30 grams frozen sweetcorn
Method – Mexican Black Bean Casserole
1. Preheat the oven to 170 C (fan)
2. Clean the squash and carrot and cut in to one centimetre dice. Roughly chop the cavolo nero and dried pasilla chilli
3. Place the toasted quinoa in the bottom of the casserole and add all the vegetables and chilli. Add the black beans, oregano and the passata. Fill the passata container with water to rinse out and add this to the casserole. Mix lightly
4. Put the lid on the casserole dish and place in the oven for approximately two and a half to three hours. After an hour and a half check the moisture levels – you may need to add a little more water or stock. After approximately two and a half hours add the sweetcorn and mix gently. Bake for a further 10 minutes or so until until all the vegetables are cooked and soft and the sauce is thickened.
5. Serve with a light salad and guacamole.