Rich and Creamy Broad Bean and Pea Risotto is the ultimate gluten-free, vegan comfort food. Tasting of earthy, warm flavours, fresh with peas and broad beans and the wonderful mint this risotto has a magical, silky texture but with a bite. I love this dish, summer seeps into your bones with this risotto. Fresh, seasonal peas and beans can get lost in a risotto. By adding them right at the end the delicate flavour, texture and colour are retained.
Risotto is a typically Italian dish. Often the first course or two of a meal, portions can be small. It’s so easy to make with such a fabulous flavour and texture. If you get this right it’s beyond wonderful.
Rich and Creamy Broad Bean and Pea Risotto is easy to make.
This risotto is set up wonderfully by the light and delicate Watercress Soup.
Allergy Information – Rich and Creamy Broad Bean and Pea Risotto
Rich And Creamy Broad Bean and Pea Risotto is gluten-free and vegan as well as… coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free, tree nut free.
Top Tips – Rich and Creamy Broad Bean and Pea Risotto
You can frozen peas or broad beans if they are not in season. Frozen peas and beans work really well. Just make sure to defrost them before adding.
Some people like to de-pod broad beans before eating. Personally, I don’t – it takes time and I actually quite like the slight bitterness of the little broad bean jackets. If I was having a super fancy dinner party I probably would remove the outer skin of the broad beans. It’s entirely up to you!
You may not use all the vegetable stock and you may use more. It depends upon your rice and your hob… You will use approximately 1. 5 litres of stock but allow for a little more or a little less.
You can find out exactly when broad beans and peas are in-season in the UK by checking out my FREE Seasonal Produce Posters. There are two posters you can save and/ or print to use as quick reference guides for UK Seasonal Produce. Click the button below to sign-up and download.
Recipe – Rich and Creamy Broad Bean and Pea Risotto
Preparation time 5 minutes
Cooking time 35 minutes
Ingredients – Rich and Creamy Broad Bean and Pea Risotto
1.5 litres hot vegetable stock
2 sticks celery, trimmed and finely chopped
400 grams risotto rice
75 millilitres vermouth (or dry white wine) – optional
100 grams fresh garden peas
60 grams fresh broad beans
0.5 teaspoon sea salt flakes (optional)
0.5 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
10 grams fresh mint, finely chopped
Juice of half a lemon
Method – Rich and Creamy Broad Bean and Pea Risotto
1. Heat the vegetable stock in a saucepan and keep it on a low simmer
2. In a large pan, add enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan and gently heat the oil. Add the finely chopped celery and gently fry, without colouring, for at least 10 minutes
3. Increase the heat under the pan and add the rice. Stir the rice so it is well coated in the olive oil. Now add the vermouth (or dry white wine). Keep stirring until the vermouth has cooked into the rice
4. Add the first ladle of hot stock. Turn the heat down to a simmer. Stir constantly and keep adding a ladle of stock when the previous ladle has been absorbed. Keep stirring the rice so the starch comes out of the rice
5. Carry on adding stock and stirring until the rice is soft but with a slight bite. This will take approximately 30 minutes
6. When the rice is almost cooked add the peas and broad beans and stir well
7. Taste for seasoning and add salt (if required) and freshly ground black pepper. Add finely chopped mint and lemon juice, stir well and serve.
Leave a Reply