Roasted Winter Vegetables with Almonds and Olives are a welcome change the usual ‘roasted vegetables’ you often get offered. The addition of the olives and almonds adds flavour, texture, freshness and depth to a normally pretty dull gluten-free, vegan dish. Flaked almonds have a crunch and taste that is paired perfectly with the cauliflower, sprouts, carrots and parsnips. The umami saltiness of the olives add another dimension.
Winter vegetables are fabulous roasted. Roasting brings out the sweetness and adds depth of flavour. But roasted vegetables can be dull. These most certainly are not dull. They crinkle with flavour and texture.
I serve this with large (rather than canape size) Potato and Butternut Squash Rosti. Butternut squash and potato pull through the dish to the almonds and rosemary. A wonderful meal.
Allergy Information – Roasted Winter Vegetables with Almonds and Olives
Roasted Winter Vegetables with Almonds and Olives is gluten-free and vegan as well as… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free, tree nut free*.
*For tree nut free, leave out the almonds.
Top Tips – Roasted Winter Vegetables with Almonds and Olives
I used nocellara olives as they have a slightly sweet, almondy flavour and crunchy texture which works well. Use olives with the stones in as they do taste better. This would also work wonderfully with manzanilla olives or any good tasting, slightly sweet olive you like.
Use a large flat roasting tray. Flat trays allow air to circulate between vegetables and so reduce the likelihood of soggy roasted vegetables and add to the crispy texture.
Change this up by using vegetables that are in-season right now! You can find out exactly what’s in season in the UK at the moment by checking out my FREE Seasonal Produce Posters. There are two posters you can save and/ or print to use as quick reference guides for UK Seasonal Produce. Click the button below to sign-up and download.
Recipe – Roasted Winter Vegetables with Almonds and Olives
Preparation time 10
Cooking time 40 minutes
Ingredients – Roasted Winter Vegetables with Almonds and Olives
1 large carrot
2 medium parsnips
1 small cauliflower
200 grams Brussels sprouts
6 large cavolo nero leaves
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1.5 tablespoons finely chopped rosemary (~ 3 sprigs)
50 grams flaked almonds (*leave out for tree nut free)
100 grams green olives (stones in drained weight)
Juice of half lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
Method – Roasted Winter Vegetables with Almonds and Olives
1. Preheat the oven to 190 C (fan)
2. Peel the carrot and parsnips and cut in to two centimetre dice place on a large flat roasting tin
3. Separate the cauliflower in to small florets, trim the sprouts and cut in half and place on the tray
4. Drizzle the oil over the vegetables and season with a little salt and pepper and place in the oven for around 40 minutes
5. Dice the cavolo nero. Once the vegetables have been roasting for approximately 10 minutes remove the roasting vegetables from the oven and add the cavolo nero and rosemary. Mix in well. Roast for a further 30 minutes or so
6. Toast the flaked almonds in a dry pan until lightly coloured and set aside. Roughly chop the olives
7. Once the vegetables are roasted – they should be golden, crispy and soft – remove from the oven and stir in the chopped almonds, lemon juice and half the toasted flaked almonds (season to taste – this will depend upon the saltiness of the olives)
8. Serve with salad or Potato and Butternut Squash Rosti and sprinkle with the remaining flaked almonds.
Leave a Reply