Tofu and Green Peppers in Black Bean Sauce is one of my all-time favourite dishes. Gluten-free and vegan I could easily eat it every-single day. Spicy, salty, tangy, umami and delicious!!! Serve with Basics – Perfect Plain Rice for the perfect meal.
Allergy Information – Tofu and Green Peppers in Black Bean Sauce
Tofu and Green Peppers in Black Bean Sauce is gluten-free and vegan as well as… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free*, onion free, peanut free, sesame free*, tree nut free.
*For nightshade free, leave out the chilli and replace the green pepper with pak choi.
*For sesame free, leave out the sesame oil and sesame seeds. Try crushed peanuts instead.
Top Tips – Tofu and Green Peppers in Black Bean Sauce
I buy tofu from my local Vietnamese and Chinese supermarkets. You can buy fresh tofu as well as ready fried. I am lucky to have lots of choice. If you do have access to an ethnic supermarket the tofu is so much better than anything you can buy in a supermarket. The tofu on sale in supermarkets has a strange (unpleasant) taste you do not get with fresh tofu and the texture is odd too. Tofu freezes really well so if you have sporadic access to fresh or fried tofu buy in bulk and freezing is a great option.
I like a bit of a spice kick! Go ahead and adjust the amount of chilli if you want it spicier (or less spicy).
Recipe – Tofu and Green Peppers in Black Bean Sauce
Preparation time 5 minutes
Cooking time 10 minutes
Ingredients – Tofu and Green Peppers in Black Bean Sauce
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
200 grams pre-fried tofu (~1 packet) sliced
0.25 teaspoon asafoetida
2 red chillies – sliced (*leave out for nightshade free)
2 centimetres fresh ginger – finely chopped
2 tablespoons salted, dried, black beans – finely chopped
1.5 tablespoons corn four
1 tablespoon tamari
2 teaspoons rice wine (or dry sherry if you cannot get rice wine)
200 millilitres boiling water
0.5 teaspoons sesame oil (*leave out for sesame free)
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds (*leave out for sesame free)
1 large green pepper – chopped in to chunks (*replace with pak choi for nightshade free)
Method – Tofu and Green Peppers in Black Bean Sauce
1. Heat a wok (or large pan) and add the vegetable oil
2. When the oil is hot add the asafoetida and fry for 20 seconds then add the ginger, chilli and black beans. Stir constantly
3. Add the sliced tofu to the wok and cook for two minutes stirring constantly
4. Add the cornflower to the wok and stir to coat the tofu, add the tamari and rice wine and stir well
5. Add the chopped pepper and mix well
6. When well combined add the boiling water and stir. Simmer for two to three minutes until thickened
7. Add the sesame oil, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve immediately.