Gluten-Free Vegan Nutty Bread is gut friendly, it tastes amazing and it’s so easy to make. I have tried and tested many gluten-free vegan bread recipes and this is the best. It’s full of flavour, the texture is wonderful (it’s not ‘gummy’) and it is full of nuts, seeds and wholegrains.
It’s also added sugar/sweetener free and yeast free. What’s not to love?
If you’re used to amazing white sourdough bread this will take a little bit of adjusting to. You can’t really compare this to white sourdough. It’s like comparing a skiing holiday to a lazing on the beach – they’re both fantastic holidays but they’re different, they have different qualities and you love them for different reasons.
This bread makes great sandwiches and is a great side with soups, houmous, salad and as a snack. It’s the perfect comfort food and if you want more recipes to go with this bread (or just more comofort food recipes) click here.
Allergy Information – Gluten-Free Vegan Nutty Bread
This bread is gluten-free and vegan and… low FODMAP*, celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free.
*Almonds are low FODMAP in servings of 10 or less, flax seeds in servings of less than one tablespoon and sunflower seeds in less than two tablespoons. A couple of slices of this nutty bread contains much less than all those amounts.
Top Tips – Gluten-Free Vegan Nutty Bread
This recipe uses a 1 kg (2 lb) loaf tin. You can make two small loaves instead, just cook for a little less time.
Using greaseproof paper as a liner for the loaf tin means the loaf won’t stick and you can easily lift the loaf from the tin using the greaseproof paper.
Recipe – Gluten-Free Vegan Nutty Bread
Serves makes a 1 kg (2 lb) loaf
Preparation time 15 minutes
Cooking time 1 hour 40 minutes
Ingredients – Gluten-Free Vegan Nutty Bread
140 grams gluten-free oats
70 grams whole almonds
70 grams pumpkin seeds
70 grams sunflower seeds
160 g buckwheat flour
2.5 tbsp ground flax seeds
3 tbsp chia seeds
2 tbsp ground psyllium husk
1 tsp sea salt flakes
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp cider or white wine vinegar
500 ml tepid water
Method – Gluten-Free Vegan Nutty Bread
1. Place the rolled oats, almonds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds in a large shallow pan and toast (stirring regularly to make sure they toast evenly) on a low-medium heat until the oats and seeds change colour and smell toasted, this should take around five minutes. Switch off the heat and allow to cool
2. In a large mixing bowl add the buckwheat flour, flax seeds, chia seeds, psyllium husk and salt and stir well. Add the cooled oats and seeds and mix again
3. Add the olive oil and vinegar to the bowl followed by the water. Mix really, really well and let the mixture stand for 10-15 minutes
4. Preheat the oven to 180 C (fan) and line a 1 kg loaf tin with greaseproof paper
5. Place the nutty loaf mixture into the loaf tin, sprinkle with extra pumpkin and sunflower seeds and pop it in the oven for 1 hour 20 minutes (or until a knife a skewer inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean)
6. Remove from the oven and lift the loaf from the tin with the greaseproof paper. Allow to cool completely before slicing
7. Toast and eat with all your favourite toppings.