Panelle With Spinach, Carrot, Caper and Lemon Salad is fabulous gluten-free, vegan light lunch or side. The panelle is super easy and soooo delicious. Panelle is a traditional Sicilian ‘pancake’. Served as street food there are as many recipes and ways of serving as there are grandmothers! There are similar chickpea pancakes (e.g. socca in the south of France) all across the southern Mediterranean – with the same roots. All of them delicious. Gram flour (AKA chickpea flour) is the most incredible ingredient that produces the most amazing and versatile food. Not only that but it also tastes delicious whatever you do to it!
Italy has the most amazing seasonal produce and inventive food. I’m a big fan on southern Italian food.
I adore Panelle with almost everything and Panelle With Spinach, Carrot, Caper and Lemon Salad works particularly well with Pumpkin Salad with Crispy Sage for a really hearty meal. For something a little lighter I would go for Butter Beans and Rosemary in Tangy Tomato Sauce.
Allergy Information – Panelle With Spinach, Carrot, Caper and Lemon Salad
Panelle With Spinach, Carrot, Caper and Lemon Salad is gluten-free and vegan as well as… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free, tree nut free.
Top Tips – Panelle With Spinach, Carrot, Caper and Lemon Salad
This is two recipes in one – both are super flexible and work well on their own and paired with other superb dishes.
Panelle is super easy to work with but you need to work quickly to move the panelle from the pan to the baking sheet or silicone sheet to set. Have everything ready before you start. Time is of the essence!
FREE For You! A Whole Set Of Uber-Cool, Retro Recipe Cards For An Indulgent Italian Weekend
This recipe is just one of a whole set of recipes in my FREE uber-cool, retro Indulgent Italian Weekend Recipe Cards. There is a whole Indulgent, Italian Weekend of recipes in the set. All totally gluten-free and vegan (and allium-free and coconut-free!). Download and print the whole set for FREE. Just click the button below to sign-up.
Recipe – Panelle With Spinach, Carrot, Caper and Lemon Salad
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 60 minutes (including cooling time)
Ingredients – Panelle With Spinach, Carrot, Caper and Lemon Salad: Panelle
150 grams gram flour (chickpea flour)
400 millilitres water
10 grams parsley
1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
0.5 teaspoon ground black pepper
Olive oil for frying
Ingredients – Panelle With Spinach, Carrot, Caper and Lemon Salad: Salad
150 grams fresh spinach
40 grams fresh parsley
1 small-medium carrot
2 tablespoon capers (in brine – drained)
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
Method – Panelle With Spinach, Carrot, Caper and Lemon Salad; Panelle
1. In a medium saucepan combine the gram flour and water and whisk until smooth. Place on a medium heat and gently and bring to a boil. Stir constantly
2. Add the salt, pepper and parsley and keep stirring until mixture thickens and changes texture. This will take approximately four to five minutes
3. Work quickly and spread the mixture on a flat baking sheet or silicone sheet. Spread the mixture around one-two centimetres thick. Set aside to cool completely (approximately one hour)
4. Once cool cut the panelle into four centimetre squares
4. Heat olive oil (depth around one centimetre) in a large frying pan and fry the panelle for two-three minutes per side until crisp and golden
5. Season with salt and pepper.
Method – Panelle With Spinach, Carrot, Caper and Lemon Salad: Salad
1. Finely shred the spinach and parsley
2. Peel the carrot and slice the carrot into long, thin slices using a peeler. Roughly chop the capers
3. Mix all the salad ingredients together and season
4. Serve the Spinach, Carrot, Caper and Lemon Salad and Panelle together.