Quick and Easy Cashew Cheese is exactly that. Quick. And. Easy. No faffing, no messing. Quick and Easy Cashew Cheese makes the best gluten-free vegan cheese on toast (AKA gluten-free vegan grilled cheese).
Vegan cheese-on-toast is incredibly easy to make – use your favourite GFV bread and toast it on one side before spreading with margarine and Quick and Easy Cashew Cheese. Grill until it’s bubbling. Yum!!!
Allergy Information – Quick and Easy Cashew Cheese
Quick and Easy Cashew Cheese is gluten-free and vegan as well as… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free.
Top Tips – Quick and Easy Cashew Cheese
Agar agar is available in many shops and stores. If you can’t find it locally you can buy it online.
You can substitute arrowroot powder for cornflour.
I use two large ramekins (around 10 centimetres in diameter) to make these cheeses. They are the perfect size for one. After the cheeses have set I store one in the fridge and freeze the other. The cheese freezes well!
If you love cooking and baking and you’re not used to working in grams (or cups are a mystery to you) get my FREE Cooking and Baking Conversions Cheat Sheet. Just click the button below, sign-up and download.
Recipe – Quick and Easy Cashew Cheese
Serves makes two cheeses ~10 centimetres in diameter
Preparation time 10 minutes (excluding soaking and setting time)
Cooking time 5 minutes
Ingredients – Quick and Easy Cashew Cheese
150 grams cashew nuts
2 tablespoons agar agar flakes
500 millilitres water
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
1.5 teaspoon sea salt flakes
0.25 teaspoon ground turmeric
0.25 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
Method – Quick and Easy Cashew Cheese
1. Place the cashews in a small container, cover with water, and place in the fridge overnight
2. The following day drain the cashews, rinse and place in a food processor
3. In a saucepan, mix the agar agar flakes with 200 millilitres of water. Set aside
4. Add the nutritional yeast, arrowroot, sea salt flakes, turmeric, paprika, cider vinegar and remaining 300 millilitres of water to the food processor with the cashew and blend to a very smooth paste
5. Add the cashew paste to the agar agar mixture and place on a medium heat. Stir constantly
6. Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer gently for two minutes
7. Pour into two ramekins and allow to cool. Place in the fridge until set
8. Serve with crackers, as cheese on toast or however you like!!!