Rich Tomato Sauce is an easy, versatile and, very importantly, delicious gluten-free, vegan sauce. It is great as a sauce for (gluten-free) pasta, potato gnocchi, as a dip or poured over roasted vegetables. It is perfect as a sauce for home made pizza (using a gluten-free vegan pizza base). As a basic pasta sauce recipe you cannot beat this. Simple, easy delicious and versatile.
Rich Tomato Sauce is a base and ingredient for so many dishes including Walnut and Mushroom Parcels.
Allergy Information – Rich Tomato Sauce
Rich Tomato Sauce is gluten-free and vegan as well as… low FODMAP*, celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free, tree nut free.
*For low FODMAP, remember that tinned tomatoes, in a serving size of around 100 grams, are permitted on a low FODMAP diet. One serving of this sauce is low FODMAP.
Top Tips – Rich Tomato Sauce
I prefer to use passata as I do not like cores or skins on tomatoes and passata makes it easier to produce a very smooth sauce. Purists may argue that there is more flavour from whole plum tomatoes – entirely possible! – choose whichever ingredient you prefer.
Rich Tomato Sauce freezes really well. Make double or triple the recipe and portion it out in to freezer bags and freeze. I usually keep a good stock in the freezer.
Recipe – Rich Tomato Sauce
Preparation time 10 mins
Cooking time 50 mins
Ingredients – Rich Tomato Sauce
0.25 teaspoon asafoetida
2 tbs olive oil
0.5 tsp dried red chilli (or to taste)
0.5 tsp dried oregano
1 tin whole plum tomatoes in juice or 500 millilitres passata
Pinch of sugar
Method – Rich Tomato Sauce
1. Warm the olive oil in a pan
2. Add the asafoetida to the pan and fry gently for one to two minutes
3. Add the dried oregano and chilli and gently fry for one to two minutes
4. Add the tin of whole plum tomatoes and juice (or passata). Stir gently to mix and simmer gently for approximately 50 minutes. The sauce will reduce and become thicker
5. Take the sauce off the heat and (if you used plum tomatoes) either use a hand blender to break down the tomatoes or do this by hand with a wooden spoon
6. Add a pinch of sugar, stir well and serve.