Toasted Rice Topping is super easy to make and transforms so many gluten-free, vegan dishes – but it is hard to call Toasted Rice a recipe. Sprinkled on top of any tofu dish Toasted Rice Topping adds a smokey, roasted, nutty flavor and light crunchy texture.
Toasted Rice – mkhao khua (ข้าวคั่ว) in Thai – is an important ingredient in northeastern Thailand and Laos where it is widely used as a topping to many dishes.
This Toasted Rice Topping recipe is really, really easy – and quick. It is super simple!
I love Toasted Rice on top of Ma Po Tofu. It is especially great sprinkled on Sesame Noodles with Shitake Mushrooms and Pak Choi and added to the filling of Vietnamese Summer Rolls for a super crunchy, delicious filling.
Allergy Information – Toasted Rice Topping
Toasted Rice is gluten-free and vegan as well as… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free, tree nut free.
Top Tips – Toasted Rice Topping
Toasted Rice Topping keeps well in an air-tight container, in the fridge for two to three weeks.
You can make as much or as little as you like at any one time – depending on how much you will use.
You can grind or pound Toasted Rice to the texture you prefer – I like a bit of crunch and texture but some people like a fine powder.
Recipe – Toasted Rice Topping
Serves makes 100 grams, enough for lots of meals
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 5 minutes
Ingredients – Toasted Rice Topping
100 grams long grain rice
Method – Toasted Rice Topping
1. Heat a heavy bottomed pan or wok on a low to medium flame
2. Add 100 grams of uncooked rice to the pan. Lower the heat and stir constantly to prevent uneven toasting and burning. The rice will initially turn white/ opaque, give off lots of steam and then start to colour. Some rice may pop, like popcorn
3. Once the rice turns golden brown remove the toasted rice from the pan and pour into a mortar of small food processor
4. Pound or process the rice to the texture you prefer. I like a bit of crunch and texture rather than a fine powder
5. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge. Toasted Rice Topping will store for two to three weeks.