This Lentil and Mushroom Soup is a great gluten-free, vegan winter warmer. It is so easy and quick to make it is the perfect emergency soup. It is great as a starter, lunch or light supper.
For added depth of flavour and decadence add a few dried, sliced porcini mushrooms (maybe five slices) – soak them, chop them and add them to the pan with the other mushrooms and use the strained soaking liquor as part of the cooking liquid.
This recipe also works great with a chopped sprig of rosemary (instead of parsley) added at step 2.
Allergy Information – Lentil and Mushroom Soup
Lentil and Mushroom Soup is gluten-free and vegan as well as… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free*, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free, tree nut free.
*For nightshade free leave out the chilli.
Top Tips – Lentil and Mushroom Soup
Recipe – Lentil and Mushroom Soup
Preparation time 5 minutes
Cooking time 20 minutes
Ingredients – Lentil and Mushroom Soup
1 tablespoon rapeseed or sunflower oil
0.25 teaspoon asafoetida
1 small dried chilli or 0.5 teaspoon red chilli flakes (*leave out for nightshade free)
150 grams sliced chestnut mushrooms (or other tasty mushroom e.g portabello)
1 teaspoon tamari (or other gluten free soy sauce or salt for soya-free)
1 can of green or brown lentils (drained and rinsed)
0.8 litres vegetable stock (approximately)
20 grams chopped parsley (approximately three stalks)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
0.25 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
0.25 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
Method – Lentil and Mushroom Soup
1. Put the oil in a pan on a low heat
2. Add the asafoetida to the pan and fry very gently for 30-60 seconds and then add the chilli
3. Add the sliced mushrooms to the pan stir, cover and cook on a low heat for approximately three-five minutes. Do not stir. They will give off lots of juice
4. Add the lentils, tamari, stock powder and the stock to the pan. Simmer on a very low heat for approximately 15 minutes. Add more stock as required
5. Add lemon juice and chopped parsley (hold a little parsley back for decoration). Season to taste with salt and pepper
6. Serve with gluten-free, vegan bread.