Lettuce and Pea Soup is so light and full of flavour you will want to eat it all summer. The slight bitterness of the lettuce works so well with the sweetness of the peas. This is a great summer soup that makes you realise how wonderful seasonal produce is. I prefer dill to the traditional use of mint with peas. Dill works well with the sweetness of the peas to bring them back down to earth.
The types of lettuce that work well here are romaine/ cos and little gem. You can use frozen peas in this recipe if fresh peas are not available or are very expensive. Frozen peas are often very good value.
Lettuce and Pea Soup very easy and quick to prepare. It takes only 20 minutes from starting the soup to bowls of steaming green gorgeousness on the table. Best eaten straight after cooking. Or chill very quickly to serve cold.
Perfect for lunch or light dinner and fancy enough for a dinner party starter. Serve with Gluten Free Vegan Rosemary and Sea Salt Crackers or as a starter to Courgette and Chard Tarts.
Allergy Information – Lettuce and Pea Soup
Lettuce and Pea Soup is gluten-free and vegan as well as… coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free, tree nut free.
Top Tips – Lettuce and Pea Soup
You can use mint instead of dill. This soup is also great cold in the height of summer.
Blend using an immersion blender, jug blender or food processor. Whatever you prefer.
Recipe – Lettuce and Pea Soup
Preparation time 5 minutes
Cooking time 15 minutes
Ingredients – Lettuce and Pea Soup
400 grams lettuce (I used a combination of little gem and romaine/ cos)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
0.25 teaspoon asafoetida
500 grams shelled garden peas
1 litre vegetable stock
30 grams chopped fresh dill
0.25 teaspoon sea salt
0.25 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Method – Lettuce and Pea Soup
1. Separate the lettuce leaves and stalks and wash thoroughly – ensure all grit and soil are removed. Roughly chop the lettuce
2. Add the oil to a large pan on a medium heat. Add the asafoetida and cook for around 20 seconds. Add the roughly chopped lettuce and stir well
3. When the lettuce has wilted add the peas and stock and bring to the boil. Lower the heat, season with sea salt and black pepper and simmer for approximately 10 minutes. Then add the dill
4. Remove the pan from the heat and blend the soup until smooth. Check the seasoning
5. Serve hot or chill quickly to serve cold.