Spicy Aromatic Lentil Soup is a favourite of mine when I am feeling slightly under the weather. Curling up with a bowl of this gluten-free, vegan soup in front of the tele(vision) is an instantly pick-me-up. It’s nutritious, hearty, warming and comforting.
The soup is lightly spiced and the flavour is fragrant. The cloves and peppercorns are almost floral with a little kick of heat coming from the chilli, cloves and peppercorns. The spices work wonderfully together.
The soup is oil and fat free – all the flavour comes from the lentils and the spices… Wonderful, simple cooking that produces an amazing depth of flavour and character. In order to extract all that flavour the soup cooks for quite a long time – it is a low maintenance recipe so you can get on with other jobs while it cooks.
Spicy Aromatic Lentil Soup works well on it’s own but I also love it with gluten-free, vegan pitta bread or Gluten Free, Vegan Rosemary and Sea Salt Crackers made without the rosemary.
Allergy Information – Spicy Aromatic Lentil Soup
Spicy, Aromatic, Lentil Soup is gluten-free and vegan as well as… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free*, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free, tree nut free.
*For nightshade free leave out the chilli.
Top Tips – Spicy Aromatic Lentil Soup
I use an immersion blender to whizz the soup at the end to give you a wonderful smooth texture in seconds.
Lentils are one of my store cupboard essentials. I eat lentils at least once a week, in one form or another. I adore them! Find out what else is on my regular shopping list with my FREE Store Cupboard Essentials Cheat Sheet. Get it now! Just click the button below, sign-up and download.
Recipe – Spicy Aromatic Lentil Soup
Preparation time 5 minutes
Cooking time 90 minutes
Ingredients – Spicy Aromatic Lentil Soup
0.5 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
0.5 teaspoon dried chilli flakes (*leave out for nightshade free)
2 bay leaves
200 grams dried red lentils (washed, drained and checked for stones etc.)
0.5 teaspoon ground turmeric
1.2 litres cold water
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Method – Spicy Aromatic Lentil Soup
1. Place the cloves, peppercorns, chilli flakes and bay leaves in to a small piece of muslin and tie securely
2. Add the washed lentils to a large pan and add 1.2 litres of cold water and bring to the boil. Remove the scum that collects on the surface and discard
3. Reduce the heat, add the spice bundle and turmeric to the pan and stir well. Cover the pan with a lid so it is slightly ajar and simmer gently for 90 minutes
4. Remove the spice bundle, add the salt and lemon juice. Check the seasoning. Blend the soup smooth
5. Serve with gluten-free, vegan bread or croutons.