Gluten-Free, Vegan Spanish Breakfast Tortilla is a fabulous way to start your weekend. What a stellar breakfast. I love to have Gluten-Free, Vegan Spanish Breakfast Tortilla on special mornings like Christmas, birthdays and other fab holidays. Ready in not time and you can also make it the night before too.
This Gluten-Free, Vegan Spanish Breakfast Tortilla is no ordinary tortilla. Traditional Spanish tortillas are more like omelettes made with potatoes. This gluten-free, vegan version uses the fantastic chickpea flour (gram flour) to form the structure of the omelette. The potatoes provide fabulous content along with olives and parsley. A little bit of sweet paprika gives a continental kick-start to your day!
Allergy Information – Gluten-Free, Vegan Spanish Breakfast Tortilla
Gluten-Free, Vegan Spanish Breakfast Tortilla (as well as being gluten-free and vegan) is… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free, tree nut free.
Top Tips – Gluten-Free, Vegan Spanish Breakfast Tortilla
Use an ‘all-round’ potato: one that is floury potato but will not fall apart. I used Marfona.
You will need a large frying pan (with a lid) that can go under the grill.
Recipe – Gluten-Free, Vegan Spanish Breakfast Tortilla
Serves 6-8 – makes one large tortilla approx. 25 cm in diameter
Preparation time 5 minutes
Cooking time 30 minutes
Ingredients – Gluten-Free, Vegan Spanish Breakfast Tortilla
800 grams (~4 medium) potatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
70 grams sauerkraut
300 millilitres vegetable stock
200 grams of chickpea flour
300 millilitres water
1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
0.5 teaspoon ground white pepper
0.5 teaspoon sweet paprika
15 grams flat leaved parsley
60 grams green olives
Method – Gluten-Free, Vegan Spanish Breakfast Tortilla
1. Wash the potatoes and remove any eyes or blemishes. Slice the potatoes in pieces approximately three-four millimetres thick
2. Place a large frying pan on a medium heat and add the olive oil. Once this is hot add the sauerkraut and fry for a few seconds. Add the sliced potatoes and stir well. Fry for a minute or two. Add the stock and place the lid on the pan (slightly ajar) and tun down the heat. Cook until the potatoes are almost soft and the liquid has evaporated. This should take about 15 minutes
3. Whilst the potatoes are cooking mix the chickpea flour with the water, salt, pepper and paprika. This should be the consistency of a thin batter. Finely chop the flat leaved parsley and roughly chop the olives. Add the parsley and olives to the mixture, holding back around a tablespoon of each for decoration. Mix well to ensure there are no lumps and allow it to stand whilst the potatoes cook
4. Preheat the grill/ broiler to a medium heat
5. When the potatoes are not-quite cooked, and most of the stock has gone, remove the lid and stir well. Pour the chickpea mixture in with the potatoes and mix gently. Then leave the mixture to cook gently for around 10 minutes until the mixture starts to set
6. When the base of the Gluten-Free, Vegan Spanish Breakfast Tortilla is cooked place the pan until the preheated grill/ broiler and grill until the top is set, approximately a further five-eight minutes
7. Wearing oven gloves!!! Place a serving plate over the tortilla and flip it over to turn the Spanish Breakfast Tortilla out. Sprinkle with the remaining olives and parsley and sea salt flakes to taste
8. Slice into wedges and serve.