Gluten-free, vegan Banana and Chocolate Chip Muffins are my go-to muffins. They’re light, moist, super-banana-ey and delicious. If you have never had banana muffins you HAVE to try these. They’re fabulous plus the bonus is they’re super easy and quick.
Bananas are naturally sweet and work really, really well with chocolate. There is proportionally less sugar in this recipe than most muffins. You can use whatever type of sweetener you prefer in this recipe. A dark unrefined sugar would work well.
Allergy Information – Banana and Chocolate Chip Muffins
Banana and Chocolate Chip Muffins are gluten-free and vegan as well as… low FODMAP*, celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free**.
*For low FODMAP, remember that ripe bananas are high FODMAP and unripe bananas are low FODMAP. Grounds almonds are low FODMAP in servings of less than 24 grams which is as much as in four muffins.
**For soya free ensure the margarine is soya free.
Top Tips – Banana and Chocolate Chip Muffins
I used Moo Free Chocolate Chips which are readily available in most UK supermarkets. I love Moo Free chocolates – their range is totally GFV and totally delicious.
Allow the muffins to cool completely before removing from the tin. They’re a little delicate until they have completely cooled (and the chocolate chips have set).
Find out what’s in-season in the UK by checking out my FREE Seasonal Produce Posters. There are two posters you can save and/ or print to use as quick reference guides for UK Seasonal Produce. Click the button below to sign-up and download.
Recipe – Banana and Chocolate Chip Muffins
Serves makes 12 muffins
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 20 minutes
Ingredients – Banana and Chocolate Chip Muffins
4 medium-large, ripe bananas
130 grams gluten-free, vegan margarine* (for soya free ensure margarine is soya free)
100 grams sugar
200 grams gluten-free, vegan self raising flour blend
60 grams ground almonds
1 tablespoon gluten-free, vegan baking powder
100 grams of gluten-free, vegan chocolate chips
Juice of half a lemon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
0.25 teaspoon sea salt flakes
Method – Banana and Chocolate Chip Muffins
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C (fan) and add paper muffin cases to a muffin tray
2. Mash the bananas until smooth. Melt the margarine in a small pan, add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Set the mashed bananas and melted margarine mixture aside
3. Put the gluten-free flour, ground almonds, baking powder and 50 grams of the chocolate chips (retain the rest for the topping) in to a large mixing bowl and mix well. Add the mashed banana, lemon juice, vanilla extract and sea salt flakes
4. Add the melted margarine and sugar and mix well
5. Put the mixture in to the muffins cases. Place in the oven for 20 minutes until a knife inserted in to the middle comes out clean
6. Allow to cool completely before melting the remaining 50 grams of chocolate chips and topping the muffins
7. Once totally cooled remove from the muffin tins and store in an air tight container.