Blueberry Polenta Muffins are brilliant for many reasons. But mostly because:
a) they are really easy to make
b) you can make them with seasonal, sweet, popping with flavour, blueberries
c) you can make them with frozen blueberries when you want the sun to shine on you in the winter months
d) they are gluten-free and vegan.
I have very fond memories of walking through masses and masses of tiny, bursting with sweet goodness, wild blueberries in Southern Germany. Wild blueberries are a very delicious treat on a lovely, long walk.
Blueberry Polenta Muffins are straightforward to make and can be baked in a standard muffin tin.
Allergy Information – Blueberry Polenta Muffins
Blueberry Polenta Muffins are gluten-free and vegan as well as… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free.
Top Tips – Blueberry Polenta Muffins
Ground flaxseeds, polenta and buckwheat flour are available in many supermarkets and can be bought online.
Recipe – Blueberry Polenta Muffins
Serves 6-8 (makes around 9 large muffins)
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 35-40 minutes
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
5 tablespoons hot water
90 grams polenta
55 grams ground almonds
75 grams buckwheat flour
0.25 teaspoons sea salt
0.5 teaspoons baking powder
0.5 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
100 grams sugar
200 grams non-dairy yoghurt
100 grams blueberries
1. Preheat the oven to 160 C (fan)
2. Place the flax seeds into a small cup, add the hot water and mix well. Leave to stand for at least five minutes
3. Sieve the polenta, ground almonds, buckwheat flour, sea salt, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl and combine well
4. Zest and juice the lemon and add with the sugar, non-dairy yoghurt, vegetable oil, non-dairy milk and flaxseed mixture to the mixing bowl and mix well. Carefully mix in the blueberries. Place two to three tablespoons of the mixture into each muffin case
5. Bake for 35-40 minutes – until a clean knife or skewer inserted into the muffin comes out clean
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool and serve. Store in an airtight container.