Gluten-Free Vegan Banana Date and Walnut Cake has no added sugar or sweetener so, it’s a little bit different to your usual cakes. I find many cakes and desserts much too sweet for me and this is perfect. I love this cake so much. It might take a little bit of getting used to as it is not like your usual super-sweet cakes but I promise you’ll love it too.
Great with a cup of tea, coffee or on it’s own.
This cake is has no added sugar and is gut friendly.
If you like this cake you are bound to want to try Lemon Polenta Breakfast Muffins and maybe… Uber Rich Chocolate and Strawberry Brownies. Rich and amazing good to eat.
Allergy Information – Gluten-Free Vegan Banana Date and Walnut Cake
Gluten-Free Vegan Banana Date and Walnut Cake is gluten-free and vegan as well as… low FODMAP*, celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free.
*For low FODMAP, remember that one serving of up to 10 almonds (around 12 grams) is low FODMAP so several slices of this loaf are low FODMAP.
Top Tips – Banana Date and Walnut Cake
All ovens are different so check your cake about 10 minutes before the cooking time is up and don’t take it out of the oven until the cake is cooked.
Allow the cake to cool completely before removing from the tin. It will be a little delicate until it has completely cooled.
Find out more about in-season fruit and veg in the UK by checking out my FREE Seasonal Produce Posters. There are two posters you can save and/ or print to use as quick reference guides for UK Seasonal Produce. Click the button below to sign-up and download.
Recipe – Banana Date and Walnut Cake
Serves makes one loaf, 10-12 slices
Preparation time 15 minutes
Cooking time 50 minutes
Ingredients – Banana Date and Walnut Cake
150 grams dried pitted dates
160 millilitres boiling water
100 grams brown rice flour
100 grams wholegrain quinoa flour
50 grams ground almonds
150 grams toasted walnuts (plus extra to decorate)
2 bananas (with no brown bits)
1 tablespoon gluten-free, vegan baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
60 millilitres cold pressed oil of your choice
Method – Banana Date and Walnut Cake
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C (fan) and grease a 16 cm cake tin with a loose bottom
2. Place the dates in a heat-proof jug and pour over the boiling water and set aside for 10 minutes
3. Put the brown rice flour, quinoa flour, ground almonds, walnuts, baking powder, spices and salt in to a large mixing bowl and mix well. Zest the lemon and add stir into the dry mix. Juice the lemon
4. Add the bananas to the jug with the cold pressed oil and lemon juice and blend with an immersion blender until it’s smooth
5. Make a well in the flour mixture and add the contents of the jug. Mix really well
6. Put the mixture in to the cake tin and smooth and level the top. Decorate with the extra walnuts and place in the oven for approximately 50 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before removing from the tin.