Gluten-Free, Vegan Churros with Hazelnut Chocolate Sauce are the perfect cold weather treat. Warm, crisp, light churros with a rich chocolate sauce is a special luxury. Not too sweet and not to heavy they are perfect for cold November nights.
Churros are a Mexican (or Spanish) sweet treat. They are a type of doughnut, long and thin, deep fried and usually served with a chocolate dipping sauce. They are often vegan. They are usually delicious.
Now, if I am going to eat something as decadent as Gluten-Free, Vegan Churros with Hazelnut Chocolate Sauce then I would have a very sensible, restrained main meal like… Beetroot and Millet Mega-Salad or going with the autumn pumpkin trend maybe… Pumpkin Salad with Crispy Sage.
Allergy Information – Gluten-Free, Vegan Churros with Hazelnut Chocolate Sauce
Gluten-Free, Vegan Churros with Hazelnut Chocolate Sauce are (surprise!) gluten-free and vegan as well as… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free.
Top Tips – Gluten-Free, Vegan Churros with Hazelnut Chocolate Sauce
You can use any type of piping bag nozzle for the churros but a large star nozzle is the traditional shape.
Make sure the oil is at the right temperature (180 C) otherwise you will get soggy and/ or burnt churros – test with a small piece of the dough. If the oil bubbles lightly when the dough is added the temperature is correct.
To cut the dough strands when piping them into the oil use a knife or pair of scissor to cut each strand as close to the nozzle as possible.
For even more hazelnut flavour and added crunch sprinkle the hazelnut chocolate sauce with crushed, toasted hazelnuts.
You can add chilli or cinnamon to the chocolate to have a spicy, warm chocolate sauce.
Gluten-free flours (of all types!) are some of my core store cupboard essentials. I use them regularly in cooking and baking. I would be lost without them! Find out what else is on my regular shopping list with my FREE Store Cupboard Essentials Cheat Sheet. Get it now! Just click the button below, sign-up and download.
Recipe – Gluten-Free, Vegan Churros with Hazelnut Chocolate Sauce
Difficulty medium – cutting churros into hot oil makes this a little more tricky
Serves 4-6 (makes around 15-20 churros depending upon the size)
Preparation time 20 minutes
Cooking time 10 minutes
Ingredients – Gluten-Free, Vegan Churros with Hazelnut Chocolate Sauce
80 grams cornflour
50 grams rice flour
20 grams ground almonds
200 millilitres (just-off) boiling water
1 tablespoon icing sugar
Vegetable oil for frying
100 grams dark chocolate (70%)
80 millilitres hazelnut milk
Method – Gluten-Free, Vegan Churros with Hazelnut Chocolate Sauce
1. In a medium mixing bowl add the cornflour, rice flour, almond flour and icing sugar. Mix well and create a well in the middle of the flours
2. Add the (just off) boiling water to the well and mix thoroughly. You will have a thick dough. Set the dough aside to cool
3. To make the chocolate sauce place the hazelnut milk and broken up chocolate in a pan or in the microwave and heat gently. Once the chocolate starts to melt mix continuously until the sauce comes together. Place the chocolate sauce in a small bowl
4. Once the dough is cool place in a piping bag with a large star nozzle. Heat approximately one centimetre of oil in a small, deep frying pan and heat the oil to 180 C
5. Pipe long strands of dough (~10 centimetres in length) into hot oil using the piping bag. Fry until golden on one side and turn. Once golden all over, remove and drain on kitchen towels
6. Dust the warm churros with icing sugar and dip into the hazelnut chocolate sauce. Best served warm.