Orange Polenta Muffins with Orange Icing are a real treat. These muffins are a great gluten-free, vegan dessert but also, if you are feeling decadent, you could serve them for breakfast. Polenta is used widely in Italian cooking and works especially well in gluten-free cooking.
I adore the scent and flavour of oranges. If you have ever been lucky enough to pick them fresh. I was on holiday in Mallorca once and stayed in a villa with a huge orange grove on one side and a lemon grove on the other. Fresh fruit juice first thing in the morning, made with warm oranges and lemons was wonderful.
Staying with citrus flavours Orange Polenta Muffins with Orange Icing would be a wonderful dessert to follow Carrot and Lemon Soup or Fennel, Radish and Orange Salad. If you fancy making some batches of breakfast muffins I can recommend Blueberry Polenta Muffins and Lemon Polenta Breakfast Muffins.
Allergy Information – Orange Polenta Muffins with Orange Icing
Easy and Delicious Vegan Hot Chocolate is gluten-free and vegan as well as… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free.
Top Tips – Orange Polenta Muffins with Orange Icing
You will probably not need all the juice from the orange to make the icing. Start with about a third of the juice.
FREE For You! A Whole Set Of Uber-Cool, Retro Recipe Cards For An Indulgent Italian Weekend
This recipe is just one of a whole set of recipes in my FREE uber-cool, retro Indulgent Italian Weekend Recipe Cards. There is a whole Indulgent, Italian Weekend of recipes in the set. All totally gluten-free and vegan (and allium-free and coconut-free!). Download and print the whole set for FREE. Just click the button below to sign-up.
Recipe – Orange Polenta Muffins with Orange Icing
Serves makes around 9 muffins
Preparation time 5 minutes
Cooking time 40 minutes
Ingredients – Orange Polenta Muffins
2 tablespoons milled flaxseed
5 tablespoons hot water
90 grams polenta
55 grams ground almonds
75 grams buckwheat flour
0.25 teaspoons sea salt
0.5 teaspoons baking powder
0.5 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
Juice and zest of 2 oranges
60 grams sugar
200 grams non-dairy yoghurt (unsweetened if possible)
2 tablespoons olive oil
Ingredients – Orange Icing
150 grams icing sugar
Juice and zest of 1 orange
Method – Orange Polenta Muffins
1. Preheat the oven to 160 C (fan)
2. Place the flax seeds into a small cup, add the hot water and mix well. Leave to stand for at least five minutes
3. Sieve the polenta, ground almonds, buckwheat flour, sea salt, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl and combine well
4. Add the sugar, juice and zest of two oranges, non-dairy yoghurt and olive oil to the mixing bowl and mix well. Place two tablespoons of the mixture into each muffin case
5. Bake for 35-40 minutes – until a clean knife or skewer inserted into the muffin comes out clean
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool
Method – Orange Icing
1. For the icing sieve the icing sugar and orange zest and add a little orange juice at a time and mix well. The icing should be thick and leave ribbons in the top of the icing when you drizzle it. You will probably need less than the juice of one orange – depending on the icing sugar
2. Once the Orange Polenta Muffins are cool drizzle the muffins with the Orange Icing and serve. Delicious.
Leave a Reply