Gluten-free, vegan Parsnip Loaf Cake With Orange Frosting is my go-to cake to take a cake somewhere, a party, gift you know the thing. If you have never had parsnip cake you HAVE to try this cake. It is amazing. If you think parsnips don’t work in a cake, think again. I remember the first time I heard of carrot cake, my response was urghh!!! You will LOVE it. Parsnip Loaf Cake With Orange Frosting is a rich, spicy delight.
Parsnips are naturally sweet and work so well with cinnamon, nutmeg and orange. There is proportionally less sugar in this recipe than most cakes. I don’t think this cake needs much sugar/ sweetener due to the natural sweetness of the parsnips but also the addition of the orange juice (and of course the icing on top – but you don’t have to make that!!!).
Allergy Information – Parsnip Cake With Orange Frosting
Parsnip Loaf Cake With Orange Frosting is gluten-free and vegan as well as… low FODMAP, celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free*.
*For soya free ensure the margarine is soya free.
Top Tips – Parsnip Loaf Cake With Orange Frosting
Allow the cake to cool completely before removing from the tin. It will be delicate until it has completely cooled.
The icing is an indulgence and the loaf cake works great without it… (I like the icing!)
You can find out exactly when parsnips are in-season in the UK by checking out my FREE Seasonal Produce Posters. There are two posters you can save and/ or print to use as quick reference guides for UK Seasonal Produce. Click the button below to sign-up and download.
Recipe – Parsnip Loaf Cake With Orange Frosting
Serves makes one loaf, 10-12 slices
Preparation time 15 minutes
Cooking time 50 minutes
Ingredients – Parsnip Loaf Cake With Orange Frosting – Parsnip Cake
200 grams gluten-free, vegan self raising flour blend
50 grams ground almonds
250 grams parsnips
1 medium ripe banana
1 tablespoon gluten-free, vegan baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
130 grams gluten-free, vegan margarine* (for soya free ensure margarine is soya free)
100 grams sugar
Ingredients – Parsnip Loaf Cake With Orange Frosting – Orange Frosting
60 grams gluten-free, vegan margarine* (for soya free ensure margarine is soya free)
150 grams icing sugar
1 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 teaspoons grated orange zest
0.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
Method – Parsnip Loaf Cake With Orange Frosting – Parsnip Loaf Cake
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C (fan) and grease a 1 kilogram loaf tin
2. Peel and grate the parsnips, mash the banana, grate the rind of the orange and juice the orange. Set each ingredient aside
3. Put the gluten-free flour, ground almonds, baking powder, and spices in to a large mixing bowl and mix well. Add the mashed banana and grated parsnip
4. Melt the margarine in a pan over a low heat and add the sugar stirring until dissolved
5. Make a well in the flour mixture and add the melted margarine and sugar and mix well. Add the orange juice. Mix really well
6. Put the mixture in to the loaf tin and level the top. Place in the oven for 50 minutes until a knife inserted in to the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before removing from the tin.
Method – Parsnip Loaf Cake With Orange Frosting – Orange Frosting
1. Add the margarine to a small mixing bowl and add the icing sugar a few tablespoons at a time until all the icing sugar is fully blended (a handmixer is very good for this)
2. Keep beating and slowly add the orange juice followed by the orange zest and vanilla extract. Beat for 3-5 mins until smooth and fluffy. Store in the fridge until required
3. When the cake is cool spread the orange buttercream icing over the top. Slice and serve.