This Sweet Almond Tart Crust is perfect for any sweet gluten free, vegan filling. Perfect as a base for the Gluten Free, Vegan Sweet Squash/ Pumpkin Tart but also great with apple crumble tops and frangipane fillings. It is robust enough to take fillings of most types but still light and delicate to eat. The crust is baked before filling which helps contain the filling later.
This will make enough dough for six small 8 cm tart cases or one 28 cm tart case. The tart cases can be frozen before filling.
Sweet Almond Tart Crust is gluten-free and vegan as well as… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free.
Preparation time 10 mins
Cooking time 5 mins
50 grams ground almonds
135 grams gluten-free plain flour
30 grams sugar
60 millilitres rapeseed or sunflower oil
0.5 teaspoons sea salt
4 tablespoons almond or other non-dairy milk
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C (fan)
2. Lightly grease the baking tin(s)
3. Add all the ingredients, except the almond milk, to a bowl or food processor and mix well
4. Add the almond milk one tablespoon at a time to the bowl and mix well. This is to ensure the crust is not too wet. It should come together when pressed with your fingers but not be too wet. The age/ moisture of the almonds you use may mean you need less almond milk
5. Take the dough and press evenly on the base and up the sides of the tin(s). The dough should be at least 3 mm deep across the tin(s)
6. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes. Then remove and to cool before filling or freezing.