This Gluten Free, Vegan Quiche is a ‘crust-less quiche’ made from gram flour (AKA chickpea flour or garbanzo flour) and is great hot or cold with salad. Chickpea flour or gram flour is fabulously adaptable and versatile. There is no end of things you can make with this magical ingredient.
For a great winter supper serve the gram flour quiche with Asian Slaw with Cumin Aioli.
Allergy Information – Gluten Free, Vegan Quiche
Gluten Free, Vegan Quiche is gluten-free and vegan as well as… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free, tree nut free.
Top Tips – Gluten Free, Vegan Quiche
You can also use this as a filling to a more traditional (gluten-free, vegan) pastry quiche using this Gluten Free, Vegan Shortcrust Pastry recipe.
Recipe – Gluten Free, Vegan Quiche
Preparation time 5 mins
Cooking time 25 mins
Ingredients – Gluten Free, Vegan Quiche
225 grams chickpea (gram) flour
1 litre cold water
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
1.5 teaspoons ground cumin
0.5 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon chilli powder (leave out for nightshade free)
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
0.25 teaspoon asafoetida
5-6 curry leaves (optional)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 green chillies, minced (leave out for nightshade free)
Method – Gluten Free, Vegan Quiche
1. Sieve the chickpea flour in to a large bowl. Slowly add 1 litre water a few tablespoons at a time. Stir as you do so, a whisk works well to break up the lumps.
2. In a small jug mix the ginger, cumin, turmeric and chilli powder. Add 60 ml water and mix well. Set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a large, heavy, pan over a medium flame. If using curry leaves add now and fry for a minute or so. Add the asafoetida. Fry for 30-60 seconds
4. Add the spices in the small cup and fry for about 1 min. Add the chickpea flour mixture and bring to a boil, stirring all the time
5. Turn the heat to medium-low and keep stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon until mixture changes texture and seems to leave the sides of the pot. This should take about 20 mins
6. Add the sea salt and lemon juice. Stir well. Taste the mixture – it should have a cooked taste
7. Empty the mixture into a tin. Smooth over the top with a spatula. Sprinkle the coriander, minced chillies (to taste) and a sprinkling of sea salt over the top and allow to cool.
8. To serve cut into squares or slices.