The depth of flavour of the cumin and walnut oil in the aioli combined with the crunch of the salad make Asian Slaw with Cumin Aioli a wonderful gluten-free, vegan winter salad.
Allergy Information – Asian Slaw with Cumin Aioli
Asian Slaw with Cumin Aioli is gluten-free and vegan as well as… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free, tree nut free*.
*For tree nut free use extra rapeseed oil instead of walnut oil.
Top Tips – Asian Slaw with Cumin Aioli
Slice the salad thin or thick – to your liking. I like a good solid crunch so go for something a little more chunky.
Recipe – Asian Slaw with Cumin Aioli
Preparation time 10 mins
Cooking time 0 mins
Ingredients – Asian Slaw with Cumin Aioli – Salad
0.5 small white cabbage
1 medium carrot
50 grams spinach
Ingredients – Asian Slaw with Cumin Aioli – Aioli
0.5 teaspoon cumin seeds
2.5 tablespoons lemon juice
1.25 teaspoons sea salt
0.25 teaspoon mustard powder
60 millilitres walnut oil
60 millilitres rapeseed oil
Method – Asian Slaw with Cumin Aioli
1. Toast the cumin seeds in a warm dry pan – you will smell the seeds and they will change colour slightly when they are ready. Allow to cool in the pan
2. Put the lemon juice, salt and mustard powder in to a food processor and blend. Add the cool cumin seeds and blend
3. Combine the walnut oil and rapeseed oil in a jug and very slowly add the oil to the blending lemon juice mixture – a very slow dribble. Keep blending – you will see the mixture start to thicken and form an emulsion. Keep blending until all the oil is added and you have a thick emulsion
4. Peel and grate the carrot, grate the radishes, grate/ finely slice the cabbage and finely slice the spinach and add to a large salad bowl. Mix well
5. Dress with the cumin aioli and serve immediately.