Herby Courgette Spaghetti with Walnut Pesto is gluten-free, vegan comfort food. Light, tasty, full of flavour Herby Courgette Spaghetti with Walnut Pesto makes a fabulous light lunch or a great side. This reminds me of summer; bright green and full of flavour. Herby Courgette Spaghetti with Walnut Pesto will brighten up any day!
Allergy Information – Herby Courgette Spaghetti with Walnut Pesto
Herby Courgette Spaghetti with Walnut Pesto is gluten-free and vegan as well as… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free*, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free.
*For nightshade free leave out the chilli flakes.
Top Tips – Herby Courgette Spaghetti with Walnut Pesto
Toast the walnuts in a dry frying pan until lightly coloured and you can smell the toasting.
You will have more pesto than you need. Walnut pesto stores well in the fridge for several days. It works really well rice and gluten-free pasta too!
You don’t need to use extra virgin olive oil to cook the courgette – any good quality oil will do. Frying with extra virgin olive oil will reduce the flavour and you really won’t get the benefit of the great quality oil.
Courgette are also called zucchini – depending where in the world you are!
If you don’t have a spiraliser (don’t panic!) you can finely slice the courgette length-ways to a similar size to spaghetti. Don’t panic too much if the courgette is not super fine. It doesn’t need to be. Go for consistency!!!
You can find out exactly when courgette (zucchini) are in-season in the UK by checking out my FREE Seasonal Produce Posters. There are two posters you can save and/ or print to use as quick reference guides for UK Seasonal Produce. Click the button below to sign-up and download.
Recipe – Herby Courgette Spaghetti with Walnut Pesto
Preparation time 5 minutes
Cooking time 10 minutes
Ingredients – Herby Courgette Spaghetti with Walnut Pesto: Walnut Pesto
80 grams toasted walnuts
90 grams fresh basil
0.5 teaspoon sea salt flakes
0.5 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
100 millilitres extra virgin olive oil
Juice of half a lemon
Ingredients – Herby Courgette Spaghetti with Walnut Pesto: Herby Courgette
750 grams courgette
1 tablespoon olive oil
0.5 teaspoon chilli flakes* (leave out for nightshade free)
Method – Herby Courgette Spaghetti with Walnut Pesto: Walnut Pesto
1. Place all the Walnut Pesto ingredients (keep a few basil leaves aside for the courgette later) in a blender and whizz until smooth
2. Test the seasoning
3. If you think the peso is a little thick add a small amount more extra virgin olive oil and blend again.
Method – Herby Courgette Spaghetti with Walnut Pesto: Herby Courgette
1. Spiralise or finely slice the courgette length-ways into spaghetti size pieces (as long as you can!)
2. Add the olive oil to a large frying pan and heat on a medium heat. Add the chilli flakes and gently fry for a few seconds
3. Separate the courgette spaghetti into strands and add to pan. Stir fry for five minutes until the courgette are lightly cooked
4. Place the courgette in a serving bowl and add the basil leaves that were set aside (if they are large rip them into smaller pieces
5. Add two to three tablespoons of the Walnut Pesto and mix well
6. Check the seasoning and serve.