Purple Sprouting Broccoli and Walnut Tart is the perfect winter supper. This is kind of like a quiche but with no bacon or eggs in sight. Totally gluten-free and vegan, this tart is fabulous hot or cold. It is robust enough to handle being ferried around in a cool bag with a bottle of wine for a winter picnic.
Purple Sprouting Broccoli and Walnut Tart is of medium difficultly – mostly because of the three different elements of the dish: tart case, vegetables and filling.
Purple Sprouting Broccoli and Walnut Tart is perfect for lunch, light dinner, picnic or barbeque. Serve with Radish and Cress Salad, Celeriac Caper and Rocket Salad or Asian Slaw with Cumin Aioli. All are great with these cute tarts.
Allergy Information – Purple Sprouting Broccoli and Walnut Tart
Purple Sprouting Broccoli and Walnut Tart is gluten-free and vegan as well as… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free.
Top Tips – Purple Sprouting Broccoli and Walnut Tart
This recipe will make one 28 centimetre tart or four to six smaller, individual tarts (depending upon the size).
You can find out exactly when the ingredients for this delicious dish are in-season in the UK by checking out my FREE Seasonal Produce Posters. There are two posters you can save and/ or print to use as quick reference guides for UK Seasonal Produce. Click the button below to sign-up and download.
Recipe – Purple Sprouting Broccoli and Walnut Tart
Preparation time 30 minutes
Cooking time 20 minutes
Ingredients – Purple Sprouting Broccoli and Walnut Tart
1 Gluten Free, Vegan Shortcrust Pastry recipe (unsweetened)
150 grams purple spouting broccoli
60 grams frozen garden peas
50 grams toasted walnuts
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
20 grams parsley
225 grams chick pea (gram) flour
1 litre cold water
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
0.25 teaspoon asafoetida
1 teaspoon sea salt
0.5 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Method – Purple Sprouting Broccoli and Walnut Tart
1. Preheat the oven to 160 C (fan). Make the shortcrust pastry – as per recipe link and roll-out and fill the tart case(s). Blind-bake the tarts for 10 minutes and remove from the oven
2. Clean the purple sprouting broccoli and trim in to small spears
3. Heat a frying pan with 1 tablespoon oil and add the purple sprouting broccoli and wilt. Remove from the heat and set aside in a bowl
4. Finely chop the parsley and mix with the purple sprouting broccoli. Add the peas and mix well. Set aside
5. To make the filling sieve the chickpea flour in to a large bowl. Slowly add 1 litre water a few tablespoons at a time. Stir as you do so, a whisk works well to break up the lumps
6. Heat the oil in a large, heavy, pan over a medium flame. Add the asafoetida. Fry for 30-60 seconds
7. Add the chickpea flour mixture and bring to a boil, stirring all the time
8. Turn the heat to medium-low and keep stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon until mixture changes texture and seems to leave the sides of the pot. This should take about 10 mins
9. Add the sea salt, black pepper and lemon juice. Stir well. Taste the mixture – it should have a cooked taste and check the seasoning
10. Gently stir the purple sprouting broccoli and pea mixture and toasted walnuts into the chickpea base (keep back some pieces of broccoli and walnut for decoration) and carefully fill the tart case(s)
11. Place the tart(s) back in the oven for 20 minutes. Allow to cool before removing from the case(s), slice and serve.