A really fantastic gluten-free vegan bread recipe is so hard to find. FriFran’s Gluten-Free Vegan Flatbread is light and airy and tastes amazing. It’s so easy to make and so flexible. You can top with salt, sesame seeds or chilli flakes.
I keep Gluten-Free Vegan Flatbread in the freezer. When I want a simple lunch I drizzle Gluten-Free, Vegan Flatbread, scatter with parsley and serve with Houmous – Garlic Free and olives.
Allergy Information – Gluten-Free Vegan Flatbread
Gluten-Free, Vegan Flatbread is gluten-free and vegan as well as… low FODMAP, celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free, tree nut free.
Top Tips – Gluten-Free Vegan Flatbread
The trick with this recipe is a very hot oven, hot baking sheets and timing the cooking right – some ovens will cook quicker than other ovens so you might need to experiment.
To press the dough without sticking: use a sheet of cling film over the top of the dough to shape the dough. It makes the dough much easier to handle.
You can leave the flatbreads plain or top with almost anything; sesame seeds, chilli flakes and herbs all work really well!
Gluten-Free Vegan Flatbread freezes really well and can be warmed (and toasted) under a grill.
Gluten-free flours (in all their forms!) and seeds are some of my core store cupboard essentials. I cook and bake with them regularly. They are super versatile and delicious ingredients. I would be lost without them! Find out what else is on my regular shopping list with my FREE Store Cupboard Essentials Cheat Sheet. Get it now! Just click the button below, sign-up and download.
Recipe – Gluten-Free Vegan Flatbread
Serves makes two large flatbreads ~12 pieces
Preparation time 5 minutes (excluding proving time)
Cooking time 15-20 minutes
Ingredients – Gluten-Free Vegan Flatbread
1 pack dried yeast (~ 7 g)
1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
125 millilitres warm water
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
240 grams buckwheat flour
130 grams rice flour
65 grams tapioca flour
1.25 teaspoon sea salt flakes
250 millilitres lukewarm water (or less depending on the dough)
Method – Gluten-Free Vegan Flatbread
1. Dissolve yeast in 125 millilitres warm water. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Let the mixture sit for 10-15 minutes until the yeast is activated and the mixture is frothy. Mix one tablespoon of flaxseeds with three tablespoons warm water. Set aside
2. Combine all the flours and salt in large bowl. Add the yeast and flax mixtures and mix well
3. Slowly add 125-250 millilitres warm water and mix really well for a few minutes. The mixture will be quite sticky. It should be almost a batter (but not quite!)
4. Cover the bowl with cling film and a tea towel and place somewhere warm for 45-60 minutes to prove. The mixture will rise and the mixture will bubble
5. Preheat the oven to 230 C (fan). Place two large, flat baking sheets in the oven to heat up
6. Lightly spray two large flexible silicone baking sheets with oil
7. Place half of the mixture on each baking sheet and place a sheet of clingfilm over the mixtures and spread evenly to a thickness of approximately 0.4 centimetres. Carefully peel off the clingfilm and lightly sprinkle each flatbread with sea salt flakes (and anything else you fancy!)
8. Once the oven is hot, carefully slide the flexible baking sheets onto the baking trays
9. Bake for 10 minutes before turning in the oven and bake for a further five to eight minutes. As soon as the bread starts to colour remove from the oven
10. Allow the bread to cool on a wire rack and enjoy!