Summer (or anytime of year) barbecues are a great opportunity to showcase seasonal veg. With this fabulous Grilled Summer Veg With Tangy Barbecue Sauce you can enjoy getting the absolute best from wonderful summer veg… Easy to make and totally gluten-free and vegan.
When I was young we used to have barbecues almost every weekend, whatever the weather – sometimes at some, sometimes next to Windermere. Barbecue sauce was a fixture – it went on everything. I LOVED it!!! This is my version of my mum’s recipe.
Allergy Information – Grilled Summer Veg With Tangy Barbecue Sauce
Grilled Summer Veg With Tangy Barbecue Sauce gluten-free and vegan as well as… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free, tree nut free.
Top Tips – Grilled Summer Veg With Tangy Barbecue Sauce
You can barbecue (or grill) or roast these veggies in the oven. All methods work equally well but give you slightly different results and flavour. I guess the method depends on the weather!!!
You don’t have to cut everything perfectly just make sure you cut all the veg to roughly the same size.
You can use any vegetable oil that works at a high temperature. I tend to use cold pressed rapeseed (canola) oil. Don’t use olive oil, it has a lower smoking point and doesn’t taste great with the sauce. Save good olive oil for salads.
Gluten-free spices and vegetable oil are some of my core store cupboard essentials. All are essential for cooking and baking. Find out what else is on my regular shopping list with my FREE Store Cupboard Essentials Cheat Sheet. Get it now! Just click the button below, sign-up and download.
Recipe – Grilled Summer Veg With Tangy Barbecue Sauce
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 45 minutes
Ingredients – Grilled Summer Veg
2 medium carrots
2 medium courgette
250 grams mushrooms
1 red pepper
500 grams new potatoes
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1.5 tablespoons roughly chopped rosemary (~ 3 sprigs)
0.5 teaspoon sea salt flakes
0.5 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Ingredients – Tangy Barbecue Sauce
2 dried ancho mulato (or similar) chillies
2 tablespoon rapeseed oil
50 grams sauerkraut
0.25 teaspoon asafoetida
2 tablespoons tomato puree
100 grams soft brown sugar
2 tablespoon cider vinegar
0.5 teaspoon chilli flakes
0.5 teaspoon smoked paprika
300 millilitres water
0.5 teaspoon sea salt flakes
Method – Grilled Summer Veg
1. Preheat the oven to 210 C (fan)
2. Peel or scrape all the veg and cut everything to a three centimetre dice (roughly).
3. Place all the vegetables into a large bowl with the rosemary, sea salt flakes and pepper and drizzle the oil over the vegetables. Mix well to ensure the veg is evenly coated
=4. If you are barbecuing (or grilling) place the vegetables onto the barbecue and cook until golden and soft. The heat of your barbecue will dictate how long this takes
=4. If you are cooking in the oven… Place the vegetables on to two large flat baking sheets and place in the oven for around 45 minutes. Check the vegetables after around 45 minutes – they should be golden, crispy and soft. If they are not pop them back in the oven for another 10 minutes.
Method – Tangy Barbecue Sauce
1. Soak the chillies in 300 millilitres of hot water for 10 minutes. Once soaked remove the chillies and take off the stalk and remove as many seeds as possible. Roughly chop. Keep the soaking liquid
2. Roughly chop the sauerkraut. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. When the oil is hot add the asofoetida and fry for 30 seconds. Add the sauerkraut and fry gently for a few minutes
3. Add the tomato puree and fry for 30 seconds. Add the sugar, vinegar, chilli flakes, paprika and re-hydrated chilli. Mix well
4. Strain the chilli soaking liquid and add to the pan mix well
5. Simmer gently for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Blend the sauce smooth in a blender
6. Serve with your fabulous medley of Grilled Summer Veg.