Super Spring Slaw is crunchy, light, tasty and satisfying. Perfect as a gluten-free, vegan side dish, sandwich filling, or with the addition of gluten-free pasta or noodles, a fabulous main. Choc-full of nuts, seeds, rich and vibrant vegetables and the always wonderful parsley.
You will love Super Spring Slaw as a side to Purple Sprouting Broccoli and Walnut Tart or Baked Mushrooms With Crispy Sage.
Allergy Information – Super Spring Slaw
Super Spring Slaw is gluten-free and vegan as well as… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, soya free.
Top Tips – Super Spring Slaw
You can slice and grate the ingredients in a food processor – a really quick way to prep the ingredients. I tend to do it by hand (less washing up!) as I quite enjoy the repetitive monotony…
I toast sesame seeds in large quantities and store them in my cupboard. If you don’t have ready toasted you can toast your own in a dry pan until the slightly colour and smell lightly toasted.
Adding the apple at the last minute will help slow the apple browning. Once the dressing is added the browning should slow.
This recipe will make a huge bowl of salad. If you want to make less half (or quarter) the quantities of each ingredient.
This salad keeps really well – even better if you hold off dressing the salad. The apple may brown a little but you can make most of this a day ahead and chop the apple at the last minute.
You can find out exactly when the ingredients below are in-season in the UK by checking out my FREE Seasonal Produce Posters. There are two posters you can save and/ or print to use as quick reference guides for UK Seasonal Produce. Click the button below to sign-up and download.
Recipe – Super Spring Slaw
Preparation time 20 minutes
Cooking time 0 minutes
Ingredients – Super Spring Slaw
400 grams white cabbage (~half a small cabbage)
400 grams red cabbage (~half a small cabbage)
300 grams (~3 medium) carrots
2 large eating apples
60 grams walnuts
20 grams toasted sesame seeds
Ingredients – Super Spring Slaw Dressing
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
6 tablespoons rapeseed seed oil
0.5 teaspoon sea salt flakes
0.5 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Method – Super Spring Slaw
1. Clean, trim and finely slice the two types of cabbage. Clean (peel if necessary) and trim the carrots and grate them. Place them in a large serving bowl
2. Gently toast the walnuts in a dry pan. Be careful they do not burn. Set them aside to cool
3. Finely shred the parsley and add to the serving bowl with the toasted walnuts (keep a few aside to scatter across the top) and sesame seeds and mix well
4. Just before dressing the salad core and chop the apples into bite sized pieces and mix well into the salad.
Method – Super Spring Slaw Dressing
1. In a jar (with a well-fitting lid) place the cider vinegar, Dijon mustard and salt. Put the lid on the jar and shake really well. Allow to stand for at least five minutes
2. Add the rapeseed oil and black pepper and shake again until well mixed
3. To serve, shake the vinaigrette, dress the salad, mix well and sprinkle with the remaining walnuts.