Mini Rice Pancakes make a fantastic gluten-free, vegan savoury snack, light lunch or side to a larger main. They are so versatile and so quick and easy to make. Light and airy with a kick of chilli Mini Rice Pancakes are packed full of flavour.
I really love these Mini Rice Pancakes with chutney (try my Christmas Cranberry and Pumpkin Chutney), pickles and Asian Slaw with Cumin Aioli. Mini Rice Pancakes also make great sides to curries like Chick Peas and Kale in Tamarind Tomato Sauce. You can use the pancakes to pick up the curry. Heavenly!
Allergy Information – Mini Rice Pancakes
Mini Rice Pancakes are gluten-free and vegan as well as… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free*, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free.
*For nightshade free leave out the chilli.
Top Tips – Mini Rice Pancakes
Make sure the pan is hot before adding the pancake mixture. You can use oil or vegetable oil spray. You don’t need very much oil at all.
Stir the pancake mixture before adding to the pan – you don’t want the god stuff to sink to the bottom!
The smaller the pancake the easier it is to handle. I made 14-16 pancakes that were approximately 10 centimetres across.
You know it’s time to turn the pancakes when the pancakes have bubbles on the surface and the edges have curled up.
The batter can be stored in the refrigerator for several days.
Rice, in all of it’s forms, is one of my core store cupboard essentials. I eat rice almost everyday, in one form or another. It’s a pretty magical ingredient. I would be lost without it! Find out what else is on my regular shopping list with my FREE Store Cupboard Essentials Cheat Sheet. Get it now! Just click the button below, sign-up and download.
Recipe – Mini Rice Pancakes
Serves makes 14-16 pancakes
Preparation time 5 minutes (excluding standing time)
Cooking time 100 minutes
Ingredients – Mini Rice Pancakes
120 millilitres unsweetened vegan yoghurt
350 millilitres cold water
140 grams rice flour
0.5 teaspoon sea salt flakes
0.5 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 small hot green chillies* (leave out for nightshade free)
15 grams fresh coriander
5 teaspoons unflavoured vegetable oil (or spray)
Method – Mini Rice Pancakes
1. place the vegan yoghurt and water in to a jug. Add the rice flour and mix well with a fork or small whisk. Make sure there are no lumps and the mixture is well mixed
2. Finely chop the green chillies and coriander and add to the jug with the salt and cumin seeds. Mix thoroughly and set aside for a minimum of 40 minutes but you can also leave it overnight
3. To cook place a large, heavy, non-stick frying pan on a medium heat and add a small amount of oil (~ one teaspoon)
4. Slowly pour a small amount of mixture into the pan (use a ladle to keep the pancakes a consistent size) and let it settle to around 10 centimetres in diameter. Depending upon the size of your pan you may be able to cook more then one or two pancakes at a time
5. Let the pancakes cook for around 2 minutes. you will notice the bubnles on the surface of the panckes and the edges start to turn up. Flip the pancake and cook for a further two minutes or so
6. Slide the pancakes on to a plate and keep covered as you make the other pancakes in the same way. Remember to stir the pancake mixture before each pouring (to stop the good bits settling to the bottom)
7. Keep warm and serve with pickles and salad.