Roasted Squash Soup is a gluten-free, vegan winter treat. Thick, warming and delicious it has a depth of flavour from the roasting that you just don’t get from boiled squash soup. Roasting is the only way to go. You really must keep the seeds too. The seeds are totally amazing roasted and as well as making a great condiment are just great as a snack.
Allergy Information – Roasted Squash Soup
Roasted Squash Soup is gluten-free and vegan as well as… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free*, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free, tree nut free.
*For nightshade free leave out the chilli.
Top Tips – Roasted Squash Soup
I tend to keep roasted the squash in the freezer – super useful. I buy it in-season, roast it and freeze it. If you already have the roasted squash this soup is super quick and easy to make. If you don’t have ready roasted squash it will take a little longer but is still super easy.
You can use shop bought frozen squash too. It works great (but you won’t get the seeds!).
This is just one of the fabulous soups gluten-free, vegan (and allium-free and coconut-free) in my FREE E Book: 10 Quick, Easy and Delicious Soups. Download the E Book for FREE now! Just click the button below, sign-up and download.
Recipe – Roasted Squash Soup
Preparation time 5 minutes
Cooking time 20 minutes (or 85 minutes if you need to roast the squash)
Ingredients – Roasted Squash Soup
1 medium to large Roasted Squash roasted without herbs or spices (butternut squash or similar)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
0.25 teaspoon asafoetida
10 grams root ginger chopped
0.5 teaspoon ground cumin
0.5 teaspoon chilli flakes (*leave out for nightshade free)
750 millilitres vegetable stock (you may need a little more or a little less)
0.5 teaspoon sea salt
Ingredients – Roasted Squash Soup – Topping
2 tablespoons cold pressed pumpkin oil (or rapeseed oil)
Roasted squash seeds (from the roasted squash)
0.25 teaspoon sea salt
0.25 teaspoon mild, fruity, chilli powder (*leave out for nightshade free)
Method – Roasted Squash Soup
1. Put a large pan on to a medium heat and add the oil. When the oil is warm add the asafoetida and stir, then add the ginger, cumin and chilli flakes. Stir well and cook for around 30 seconds
2. Chop the roasted squash in to chunks
3. Add the squash (including the skin), salt and stock to the pan. Stir well. Bring to a low simmer and simmer for approximately 10 to 15 minutes
4. Remove from the heat and using a hand blender blend until smooth. You might want to thin the soup a little more at this stage with hot water. If it is too thick cook for a little longer to reduce
5. In a small food processor add the roasted pumpkin seeds, salt and chilli powder and blitz until a powder
6. Serve the soup and drizzle with cold pressed pumpkin oil and sprinkle the seed powder.