Apple and Blackberry Cobbler is as British as… Apple Pie. Apples and blackberries are the perfect combination, both are beautifully in season in September and taste wonderful so let’s make the most of them in this perfect gluten-free, vegan Apple and Blackberry Cobbler. Yeh! I love this dessert!
Apple and Blackberry Cobbler is quick and easy to make.
Perfect for a special occasions and desserts anytime. Serve with the vegan cream filling from the Eaton Mess recipe (minus the strawberries). Also a great way to follow Endive Salad with Pears and Almonds or Grilled Nectarine Salad with Rocket and Walnuts.
Allergy Information – Apple and Blackberry Cobbler
Apple and Blackberry Cobbler is celery free, coconut free, garlic free, gluten free, lupin free, mustard free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free, tree nut free, vegan.
Top tips – Apple and Blackberry Cobbler
My Apple and Blackberry Cobbler recipe does not precook the fruit. Personally I don’t like mush in the bottom of my cobblers, crumbles or any other fruit dessert. Pre-cooking fruit removes any texture and all the flavour from the pudding – so don’t do it!. I also do not use very much sugar in the fruit. Blackberries need a little bit of sugar but not too much. Just enough to take the edge of the lip sucking sourness!
Don’t totally cover the fruit with the cobbler topping. Part of the beauty of cobber is the fruit peeping through the top layer.
Preparation time 5 minutes
Cooking time 50 minutes
Ingredients – Topping
1 tablespoon flax seeds
3 tablespoons warm water
200 grams gluten-free self raising flour (I used a supermarket bought blend)
100 grams vegan hard margarine (choose one which is suitable for baking as not all are)
50 grams sugar
0.5 teaspoon sea salt
6-8 tablespoons non-dairy milk
Ingredients – Apple and Blackberry Cobbler – Filling
1 kilogram cooking apples (e.g. Bramleys)
250 grams blackberries
2-4 tablespoons sugar (may need more or less depending on the tartness of the gooseberries)
Method – Apple and Blackberry Cobbler – Topping
1. Pre heat oven to 190 C (fan) or gas mark 5
2. Mix the ground flax seeds with the warm water and set aside
3. In a large bowl add the flour and margarine and using your finger tips lightly rub the margarine in to the flour
4. It will quickly start to resemble breadcrumbs. Once the margarine is worked in to the flour and there is no ‘loose’ flour
5. Add the sugar and mix lightly until all incorporated together. The mixture will be a little bit like wet sand – it will hold together but not become lumpy
6. Gently mix in the flax seed mixture and two tablespoons non-dairy milk. Add more non-dairy milk to form a very thick batter.
Method – Apple and Blackberry Cobbler – Filling and Assembly
1. Peel, core and slice the apples, clean the blackberries
2. Add the apples and blackberries to a large heatproof baking dish and sprinkle with 2-4 tablespoons sugar
3. Add spoonfuls of the cobbler topping to the apple and blackberry. It should not cover all the mixture and it will spread in the oven
4. Bake for ~45 minutes until the apples and blackberries are soft (but not mushy) and the topping is set and golden
5. Serve with non-dairy custard or cream.
Leave a Reply