Crispy, light and delicious Sweet Potato Doughnuts are heavenly!!! Gluten-free and vegan and just wonderful. I have to confess I never used to like doughnuts. The texture and the taste were just awful to me but these crispy beauties are magical. A special treat!!!
I adore Sweet Potato Doughnuts as a special treat. To balance these with something healthy I would go for Endive Salad with Pears and Almonds. If you are going all out for flavour and texture Sweet Potato Doughnuts are a great follow up to Warm Pear Salad and Fondant Butternut Squash.
Sweet Potato Doughnuts are quick and easy to make if you have cooked sweet potatoes.
Allergy Information – Sweet Potato Doughnuts
Sweet Potato Doughnuts are gluten-free and vegan as well as… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free, tree nut free.
Top Tips – Sweet Potato Doughnuts
I baked the sweet potato to cook it, this gives a better flavour and texture. Boiling the sweet potato add more moisture to the potato. If you are short of time you can boil the sweet potato but it may have less flavour and you may need to use a little less liquid.
Glutinous rice flour does not contain gluten. It is made from short grain rice which contains more starch and so gives a ‘glutinous’ texture.
You can get glutinous rice flour and rice flour in Asian supermarkets. It is good value for money. You can also buy online.
Eat the Sweet Potato Doughnuts whilst still warm. They are at their best warm. They will lose their crispy texture if stored for more than a day.
You can find out exactly when sweet potatoes are in-season in the UK by checking out my FREE Seasonal Produce Posters. There are two posters you can save and/ or print to use as quick reference guides for UK Seasonal Produce. Click the button below to sign-up and download.
Recipe – Sweet Potato Doughnuts
Serves makes around 20 doughnuts
Preparation time 10 minutes (excluding cooking the sweet potato)
Cooking time 15 minutes
Ingredients – Sweet Potato Doughnuts
1 large (~500 grams) sweet potato (cooked and peeled)
250 grams glutinous rice flour
40 grams rice flour
80 grams granulated or caster sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
0.5 teaspoon baking powder
250-300 millilires hot non-dairy milk
Oil for frying
75 grams granulated or caster sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Method – Sweet Potato Doughnuts
1. In a large bowl mash the cooked sweet potato. Add the glutinous rice flour, rice flour, sugar, and salt and mix really well. Using your fingers gently rub the mixture together until it resembles fine crumbs
2. Slowly add the hot non-dairy milk to the mixture and mix well with a spoon. Once the mixture starts to hold together use your hands bring the dough together to form a ball. The amount of milk needed is dependant on the moisture level of your potatoes – you may need more or less than 250 millilitres
3. Break of small amounts of the dough and roll to make 2.5 centimetres balls. Set aside and cover
4. In a large, heavy-bottomed, frying pan add oil to a depth of one centimetre. Place on a low-medium heat. Once hot cook the doughnuts in small batches (do not crowd the pan). Roll the doughnuts around to cook and brown them evenly. The doughnuts should take around five minutes to cook
5. Once each batch is cooked remove from the pan and place on a large plate covered with paper towel to drain.
6. Place the sugar and cinnamon on a large plate and mix well. Roll the hot doughnuts in the cinnamon sugar to coat evenly all over
7. Serve warm or at room temperature. Eat quickly!