It’s a brand new year and you want a healthy salad but not the same old boring stuff. Broccoli, Kale and Pea Salad is not boring!!! So light and fresh and at the same time, substantial enough to be the foundation of a good meal. Naturally gluten-free and vegan, I adore it early in the year when broccoli and kale are in season and frozen peas work really well. The bright green colour is a much needed splash of green in the dark winter months!
Broccoli and kale are in season together for so much of the year and frozen peas work just as well as fresh peas, if not better (and no shelling required!). Frozen peas are a fabulous thing to have in the freezer. If you hit the sweet spot when broccoli, kale and peas are in season (September-October in the UK) this salad is so wonderfully fresh and light.
The zingy mustard taste from the dressing with the fresh light taste of the vegetables in Broccoli, Kale and Pea Salad is wonderful. Broccoli, Kale and Pea Salad is a great accompaniment to Roasted Winter Vegetables with Almonds and Olives or Gluten Free, Vegan Quiche or… Almost anything really.
Allergy Information – Broccoli, Kale and Pea Salad
Broccoli, Kale and Pea Salad is gluten-free and vegan as well as… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free, tree nut free.
Top Tips – Broccoli, Kale and Pea Salad
Blanche the vegetables to your taste. I like them blanched for quite a short time. Keep bite but take the ‘raw’ edge of the veg.
For a little kick add a pinch of chilli flakes to the dressing (note: the salad will then not be nightshade free).
The Broccoli, Kale and Pea Salad recipe is for frozen peas but if you have fresh peas the steps and cooking time are roughly the same.
If you don’t want to use frozen veg… You can find out exactly when the ingredients for this fabulous dish are in-season in the UK by checking out my FREE Seasonal Produce Posters. There are two posters you can save and/ or print to use as quick reference guides for UK Seasonal Produce. Click the button below to sign-up and download.
Recipe – Broccoli, Kale and Pea Salad
Difficulty easy to medium
Preparation time 5 minutes
Cooking time 10 minutes
Ingredients – Broccoli, Kale and Pea Salad
1 head of broccoli (~350 grams)
1 head of kale (~ 200 grams)
200 grams frozen peas
15 grams toasted pumpkin seeds, ground (optional)
Ingredients – Dressing
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Juice (~2 tablespoons) and zest of half a lemon
6 tablespoons good olive oil
0.5 teaspoon sea salt flakes
0.5 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Method- Broccoli, Kale and Pea Salad
1. Clean and trim the broccoli head, separate the broccoli in to small (bite size) florets and thinly slice the broccoli stalks. Remove the kale from the stalks and shred
2. Blanch the broccoli florets, stalks and kale in boiling salted water for approximately 60 seconds. Remove the broccoli and kale from the pan with a slotted spoon (keep the cooking water) and spread them out on a clean tea towel to steam dry
3. Using the same water, bring back to the boil and cook the frozen peas, drain and set aside on the clean tea towel to steam.
Method – Dressing
1. In a jar (with a well-fitting lid) place the lemon juice and Dijon mustard. Put the lid on the jar and shake really well. Allow to stand for at least five minutes
2. Add the olive oil, sea salt and black pepper and shake again until well mixed
3. Arrange the broccoli, kale and peas on a large plate, sprinkle over the pumpkin seeds and drizzle the dressing over the salad.