Although I have called this Christmas Root Vegetable Salad, you can eat this anytime you like. I love the idea of salad at Christmas because a) it is quick and easy b) it is nutritious c) it is tasty d) the colour is so bright it makes you smile and e) it is surprisingly Christmassy! It will enliven the dullest of days!
This Christmas Root Vegetable Salad will go with almost anything but it goes especially well as part of a buffet with Gluten Free, Vegan Quiche, Gluten Free Vegan Rosemary and Sea Salt Crackers, Baba Ganoush, Houmous – Garlic Free, Black Olive Tapenade and anything else you fancy!!!
Allergy Information – Christmas Root Vegetable Salad
Christmas Root Vegetable Salad is gluten-free and vegan as well as… coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, nightshade free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free, tree nut free*.
*For tree-nut free leave out the walnuts.
Top Tips – Christmas Root Vegetable Salad
You can prepare the salad the day before and dress it just before serving.
You can use any root vegetables you like in any proportions – they all work well. I also love raw cauliflower in this.
Choose a tart eating apple – the larger and the tarter the better!
You can find out exactly when root veg and what varieties or apple are in-season in the UK right now by checking out my FREE Seasonal Produce Posters. There are two posters you can save and/ or print to use as quick reference guides for UK Seasonal Produce. Click the button below to sign-up and download.
Recipe – Christmas Root Vegetable Salad
Preparation time 15 minutes
Cooking time 0 minutes
Ingredients – Christmas Root Vegetable Salad
200 grams (~2 medium) carrots
100 grams (~ 1 medium) beetroot
100 grams (~0.25 of small) celeriac
150 grams (~0.25 of small) turnip (or Swede)
1 large apple
20 grams toasted walnuts
Ingredients – Christmas Root Vegetable Salad – Dressing
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
6 tablespoons rapeseed seed oil
0.5 teaspoon sea salt flakes
0.5 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Method – Christmas Root Vegetable Salad
1. Clean and scrape (or peel) all the root vegetables and grate into a large bowl
2. Grate the apple into the bowl and mix all the vegetables and apple well
3. Sprinkle with two-thirds of the toasted walnuts and mix lightly.
Method – Christmas Root Vegetable Salad – Dressing
1. In a jar (with a well-fitting lid) place the cider vinegar and Dijon mustard. Put the lid on the jar and shake really well. Allow to stand for at least five minutes
2. Add the rapeseed oil, sea salt and black pepper and shake again until well mixed
3. To serve, shake the vinaigrette, dress the salad and sprinkle with the remaining walnuts.