Gluten-Free Vegan Cauliflower Cheese is super versatile. It’s a great side with a Sunday roast or a great comforting supper dish. Perfect for any cold, winter evening.
Allergy Information – Gluten-Free Vegan Cauliflower Cheese
Gluten-Free, Vegan Cauliflower Cheese is not only gluten-free and vegan but also… coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, nightshade free*, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free.
*For nightshade free leave out the paprika.
Top Tips – Gluten-Free Vegan Cauliflower Cheese
Ensure the cauliflower is cooked just how you like it before you put it in the oven – it will not cook too much more in the oven. Whilst in the oven it will absorb the ‘cheese’ sauce.
You can find out exactly when cauliflower is in-season in the UK by checking out my FREE Seasonal Produce Posters. There are two posters you can save and/ or print to use as quick reference guides for UK Seasonal Produce. Click the button below to sign-up and download.
Recipe – Gluten-Free Vegan Cauliflower Cheese
Preparation time 15 minutes (excluding soaking time)
Cooking time 20 minutes
Ingredients – Gluten-Free Vegan Cauliflower Cheese
100 grams cashews (not roasted or salted)
1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
1 stick celery
0.25 teaspoon asafoetida
0.25 teaspoon hot paprika
0.25 teaspoon turmeric
0.5 teaspoon mustard powder
300 millilitres non-diary milk
15 grams nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon cornflour
2 tablespoons lemon juice
0.5 teaspoon sea salt flakes
1 medium cauliflower
Method – Gluten-Free Vegan Cauliflower Cheese
1. Soak the cashew nuts in water overnight (or at least four to six hours). Once soaked drain the cashews
2. Preheat the oven to 190°C (fan)
3. Finely dice the carrot and celery
4. Heat a frying pan on a low to medium heat, add the rapeseed oil. Add the asafoetida to the pan and cook for 30 seconds. Add the carrot and celery and sauté until soft. Once soft add the paprika, turmeric and mustard powder and sauté for a further two minutes on a low heat
5. Add all the ingredients (except the cauliflower) to a blender and blend until very smooth
6. Pour the sauce into a small saucepan and heat gently, stirring constatnly for five to 10 minutes until simmering and thickened
7. Break the cauliflower into florets and steam until just tender
8. Place the steamed cauliflower and ‘cheese’ sauce in a baking dish and mix well
9. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden on top
10. Serve warm as a side or with salad.