Spicy Grilled Green Bean and Potato Salad is a substantial, tasty and satisfying gluten-free, vegan salad. You can use whatever type of green beans (French beans, string beans, runner beans and lots more!) and potatoes (Jersey Royals!) are in season where you are. Look out for what looks fresh and what is local.
Perfect as a light lunch and great as a side Spicy Grilled Green Bean and Potato Salad goes with so many things. For more salad goodness how about pairing it with Endive Salad with Pears and Almonds? Or simply serve with Gluten-Free, Vegan Flatbread and Houmous.
Allergy Information – Spicy Grilled Green Bean and Potato Salad
Spicy, Grilled Green Bean and Potato Salad is gluten-free and vegan as well as… low FODMAP*, celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free, tree nut free.
* For low FODMAP, remember that a green bean serving of less than 15 beans (75 grams) is low FODMAP. One serving of this salad contains less than 75 grams of green beans.
Top Tips – Spicy Grilled Green Bean and Potato Salad
Go for small new potatoes in this salad – choose a potato that is not too floury or waxy, something in the middle! If possible! I’m a huge fan of Jersey Royal potatoes which work so well in this salad – just the right combination of floury and waxy and they taste amazing.
If you like you can cook the potatoes well in advance or use left over potatoes in this recipe.
You’ll need a large frying pan with a lid.
Find out exactly when green beans and potatoes are in-season in the UK by checking out my FREE Seasonal Produce Posters. There are two posters you can save and/ or print to use as quick reference guides for UK Seasonal Produce. Click the button below to sign-up and download.
Recipe – Spicy Grilled Green Bean and Potato Salad
Preparation time 5 minutes
Cooking time 25 minutes
Ingredients – Spicy Grilled Green Bean and Potato Salad
750 grams seasonal new potatoes
220 grams seasonal green beans
1 tablespoon olive oil
0.5 teaspoon chilli flakes
1 sprig rosemary, roughly chopped
50 grams pitted black olives, roughly chopped
0.5 teaspoon sea salt flakes
0.5 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Juice of half a lemon
Method – Spicy Grilled Green Bean and Potato Salad
1. Prepare the vegetables. Clean the potatoes and cut in half to make bite size (if they are larger than bite-size). Trim the green beans
2. Place the potatoes in a pan and just cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer until just cooked (around 15 minutes depending upon the potato and size). Drain and allow to cool
3. Add the olive oil to a large frying pan and place on a medium heat. Add the chilli flakes and chopped rosemary and cook for around 30 seconds. Add the green beans to the pan and stir well. Place the lid on the pan, turn the heat down a little. Shake the pan every few minutes to evenly cook the green beans. Cook for around five minutes until the green beans are lightly coloured and still have a little bit of ‘bite’
4. Add the cooked potatoes to the pan and carefully stir – don’t break up the potatoes. (Don’t put the lid back on the pan.) Once the potatoes are heated through and lightly coloured turn off the heat, add the olives (keep a few back for decoration), sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper and stir well
5. Place the salad on a large serving plate, sprinkle with a few olives and lemon juice. Serve.