Gluten-free, vegan Smoky Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup is a one-pot soup with no oil! Super easy to make and really, really delicious. This is a great winter soup, when it is cold, dark, raining and windy outside. This soup is warming, slightly spicy, slightly smoky and very, very good.
Smoky Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup is great on its own for lunch or as a starter for a larger meal. To make this part of a larger meal I heartily recommend Roasted Winter Vegetables with Almonds and Olives or for something lighter; how about Warm Pear Salad?
Allergy Information – Smoky Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup
Smoky Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup is gluten-free and vegan as well as… celery free, coconut free, garlic free, lupin free, mustard free, onion free, peanut free, sesame free, soya free, tree nut free.
Top Tips – Smoky Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup
You do not need to worry about the exact weights of the sweet potatoes. Two medium sweet potatoes are fine!
If you like a chunky soup you can just give a few blasts of the immersion blender, rather than blending it totally smooth.
I like quite my soup somewhere in the middle of thin-thick. If you like it super thick hold back 100 millilitres of the vegan stock and after blending add so you get the texture you like. If you like it thinner you can add extra vegan stock. It’s your soup, you should have it how you like it!
You can find out exactly when sweet potatoes are in-season in the UK by checking out my FREE Seasonal Produce Posters. There are two posters you can save and/ or print to use as quick reference guides for UK Seasonal Produce. Click the button below to sign-up and download.
Recipe – Smoky Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 60 minutes
Ingredients – Smoky Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup
2 medium sweet potatoes – approximately 650 grams
150 grams red lentils
0.5 teaspoon smoked hot paprika
0.5 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
0.5 teaspoon ground cumin
500 millilitres gluten-free, vegan stock
Method – Smoky Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup
1. Preheat the oven to 200 C (fan). Wash and trim the sweet potatoes and slice length-wise. Place the sweet potatoes cut side down on a large flat baking sheet. Bake for around 40 minutes
2. Pick through the lentils to make sure there are no stones and rinse well. Place in a large pan and cover with one litre of cold water. Place on a medium-hot heat
3. Bring the lentils to the bowl and as you do so, skim the scum from the surface with a large spoon
4. Once the lentils are boiling add the two types of paprika and cumin and mix well. Turn the heat down to a low simmer and partially cover with the pan lid slightly ajar. Simmer for approximately one hour (stirring every 15 minutes or so)
5. After 40 minutes remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and roughly chop. Add the sweet potatoes and vegan stock to the pan with the lentils and stir well. Continue to simmer until the lentils have been cooking for one hour
6. After one hour remove the soup from the heat and using an immersion blender, blend until smooth and silky
7. Serve with finely chopped parsley (and a drizzle of cold pressed rapeseed oil if you like!).